Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Swap Questions --- any interest in 4.10 or others?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gear Swap Questions --- any interest in 4.10 or others?

We've (BJ's Off-Road) have been offering a 4.56 gear conversion kit for the M715 for a few years now.

Dana/Spicer has discontinued the Dana 70 4.56 offset gears and we are totally out.

We talked to a shop that can modify the carrier bearings so we can use regular Dana 70 gear sets in the M715 offset rear end.

Is there any interest in this? It would make all numerically higher gear sets 4.10, 4.27, 4.56, 4.88, etc available to swap in the M715 rigs.

Let me know if there is any interest and we will pull the trigger on the cost of getting these bearings tooled up for and modified.

Thanks!
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Aw man! If I would’ve known this a month sooner I wouldn’t have started converting mine to a 14 bolt, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was interested in your original kit, this would be similar with more options?
    Jonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    I was interested in your original kit, this would be similar with more options?
    Yes, this would be similar with more gear options.

We have told our shop to go ahead and develop this, it should be available sometime in the next couple months.
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Yes. It would make the truck more road friendly. Please make them.

If the only modifications needed is to the bearings I would think it would be a no-brainer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes, interested!!

I would be interested in 4.88's: they worked great in my Hercules M37, and would like to that option with the 715.

Modifying the bearings to move the carrier over? Trying to picture that... but I'm not a real mechanic, just pretend to be one while trying to fix stuff that breaks.
    Would that involve using a narrower bearing on the starboard side?

I've wondered if using a spacer behind a newer ring gear to make up for the offset would work. But more axle work is a few years down the road so haven't wondered about it too much. and figured if it was that simple someone would have done it or made a kit by now.

Mr. Boyer put a spacer behind a ring gear on his truck but I think it was while installing a limited slip on the front...

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    ... but I'm not a real mechanic, just pretend to be one while trying to fix stuff that breaks.
    Okay. Did some quick googlin... looks like I had it backwards in my head..