Thread: Hood Reg Numbers

Default Hood Reg Numbers

Good afternoon all, its been awhile since I've posted anything, I've been pressing on with the restoration of my 715 and its going pretty good so far. First off, I dont remember who told me to check ebay for parts I might need, but I wanted to say thanks for the tip, I've found everything I've needed so far, its amazing how many NOS parts are still out there for these trucks.

Second, I saw a thread awhile back where someone asked if there was anyway to find out what the original reg numbers were on the hood. I got lucking on mine cause when it was painted fire colors they didnt even bother to sand it, just painted over everything, so I was able to wetsand where the decals were at and found my reg numbers.

This is the part I hope helps: Since they were coming off anyway for new paint I just sanded them off with my DA sander and I had to go all the way to bare metal to get out some deep scratches. Thats when I saw that the decals left outlines of the letters & numbers etched into the metal.

That might be something to try if anyones missing the reg numbers.

Thanks again for everyones advise so far on my project.

I like it when they just paint over the decals. I had a M38a1 that was just overcoated, you could see the USA numbers and stars plain as day under the paint. Won't work if the numbers are painted on only like WW2, etc.

Scott

When I sanded the hood on my GPW, the original numbers in blue drab were still on the hood. that was a homerun.

Similar Threads

1. Hood numbers, paint, markings, etc.
    By brute4c in forum Stock Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 6th, 2017, 06:19 AM
  2. teking : How to turn a 78 J hood into a 67 M715 hood
    By teking in forum PseudoZone - Open Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM
  3. Old New Stock Hood or Wagoneer / J truck hood
    By CrashMorriss in forum Stock Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
  4. What were YOUR original hood numbers?
    By kaiser715 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
  5. Help with hood and bumper numbers
    By Calpyro in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM