Thread: Third Gear Noise

Default Third Gear Noise

I have been driving my truck on the roads around my house because they aren't municipal roads, and I don't have a plate. Actually I'm going for a plate this week, but anyway- I was never really able to get much out of second gear due to the hills and narrow roads. When I shift into third, there is a fairly loud rattle that comes from under the truck. I never paid much attention to it, I thought I was probably shifting too early, and shouldn't have been in third to begin with. Today I took it out and tried to get going pretty good, but the noise persists. I shifted into fourth, and it seemed to go away, but I'm not totally sure of that because of my speed at the time. I don't seem to lose any power or anything. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Probably should mention that it's the stock 230/T98a

Well, what type of rattle is it? If it's clear, check for loose t-case and e-brake linkages. If it's muffled (internal to tranny), check the condition of the fluid. Check all the u-joints while you're under there, exhaust/muffler rattles, etc. I can't think of many things that make a rattle specific to what gear you're in, so I'm just thinking about general rattles that might resonate at just the wrong combination of engine/drivetrain speeds...

--Randy

Do you think it might be something a little loose that happens when the truck is at a certain speed combined with a certain engine speed that sets up the harmonics just right to cause it to rattle?

Mine is full of rattles like that, actually. None of a type that cause me alarm though. Yours might be different.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Mine is full of rattles like that, actually. None of a type that cause me alarm though. Yours might be different.
    Depending on where they come from, you might want to check the bolts that hold the t-case shift levers in place, the linkages, and the U-shaped end on the brake lever... fixed a lot of our random rattles that way!

--Randy

...And break all the dried greasy gunk holding it all together?! Are you nuts?!?!

-- Tim Taylor

Well, first I checked the U-joints and supports, etc, and all seemed fine. I thought it had to be something inside the tranny, but I put the t-case in neutral and third gear sounds just like the rest, so now I'm thinking external again. I should admit that I've been chasing it for a little while but couldn't pin it down. I thought maybe somebody had experienced something similar. I didn't check over the e-brake stuff. I'm just hoping its not internal. I did change the fluid last year, and it didn't really look abnormal, some stuff stuck to the magnet on the drain plug, and some sparkly stuff floating around in it. It wouldn't bug me if it wasn't so loud. Randy- I never thought of it, but maybe because its so loud it can't be inside. It definitely doesn't sound muffled.

Default Found it!

I found it! Kind of anyway- I checked the emergency brake transfer case linkages, and the pto linkage. It turned out to be something to do with the rear pto. I tried tightening up the freeplay but it didn't take it away. If I hold the selector about midway between engaged and disengaged it goes away. I guess I'll try to adjust it correctly when I get more time. At least now I know its not the tranny.

Good deal...saves money!