Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 bolt brake conversion

Default 14 bolt brake conversion

Has anyone attempted to swap the backing plate and the entire brake assembly except the drums from a 14 bolt to our axles? The other thread where the 14bolt brake shoes will work with our drums with some mods, tells me the shoes are the correct size for our drums, so why not swap the backing plate too and have a readily available parts source for everything inside the drums? I have a couple 14 bolts and think I might try setting this up unless someone has allready tried and knows that it will fail miserably. More to come on this, but not right away. Still in the middle of some other mods.

The 13" backing plate works great, you have to hog out the center hole a little and splay out the 4 mounting holes a bit. It took a machinist about 30 min. You also get the advantage of cable emer. brakes. I needed this because of my 205 conversion with the gearvendors on the back of it did'nt allow me to use the stock band brake. I swapped the cables to pull from the pass. side. so now I'll adapt the stock brake handle to actuate the late model self adjusting brakes from that side.

I wish I'd thought of it before doing all the work to convert the band brake to my 205. I'm in it for about 140 bucks and that's getting the machine work done for a pizza. Plus I still need to address the brakes. Anyhoo, thanks for the confirmation.

Saxon, was that you who did the backing plate swap years back and had pics before the crash?

I seem to remember the opening up of the center hole and slight ovaling of the mouint holes ...you used the stock drums but I forget if they were stock brake shoes or the Chevy ones...what works there?

Thanks!!

Jon, no that was'nt me, I tuned into the zone just after the crash. Everything you verified is right and everything on that 13" GM 14 bolt backing plate is used as if it's on the original GM vehicle. I hav'nt yet got the lines to the wheel cyls. yet but it dos'nt seem as if it's any tighter than the stock attachment.

So you did use the GM shoes and springs then with the stock M715 drums?

Thanks for the info...this is something we lost and actualy I had forgotten...MarknessMonster had asked me about hooking up the stock drums/backing plates to work with a parking brake and I couldnt remember this info to give him...he and I both need to do something after swapping the rear shaft and I prefer this method for the brake part availability...thanks again!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I still find the mod to the #60 shoes to be the easiest yet. THe only thing it requires is a quick cut of the top of the shoe, and the springs to go with it. I literally had mine done in less than an hour.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

But, with the stock drums, there is no provision for an emrgency brake in there.
    With this swap, someone, like me, who had moved their rear driveshaft over to eliminate the tcase whine but did it before the ebake flange swap was discovered and has no current ebrake can choose to use a cable operated system in the drums instead.

It is an inexpensive alternative that, in the future, requires no mods to install off the shelf brake shoes.

I did this to my parts truck rear axle before I bought #2 that actually ran.

I got some 14 bolt backing plates at a pull and save. Took the plates and one of the d70 rear baking plates to a machinest and told him to make the holes to match out. I know of some people who just honed it out with either a sanding wheel or augered it out. Since it was a pretty serious part, I opted to have it machined. I cost me about $50 to get it done, and it fit really well. If I did it again, I would also have the machinest match the four mounting bolt holes as well. I did have to auger it out with some drill bits. I broke a few getting that done. I think the shoes were 2.5" wide instead of the stock 3.0- I remember it was pretty close. And all replacement parts are over the counter with a non driveshaft e brake. Make sure to pull the e brake cable if you find one at the pull and save. Usually they're cut off.

Over all it was a pretty easy and slick retro. I knew before that I was going to get rid of the np200, so i was pretty motivated to find an e brake system that didn't require me swaping the axles out- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Stock shoes are 2.5 inches wide...maybe the new ones are 2.25 or 2 inch?