Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: brake drum removal

Hey guys, another trick as a last resort is to find a nut that has a large enough hole to allow you to weld it to the screw but not large enough to let you weld it to the drum itself. Weld the nut to the mangled screwhead and then you can use a socket and breaker bar to loosen it. The heat from welding will help break it looses also.
    Doug
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

A good way to remove broken/rounded bolts, very similar to Doug's, is to weld a blob of metal to the screw, which can the be grabbed with vicegrips.

oooooorrrrr- you can just drill 'em out.

Listen, I can't be wrong 100% of the time. Right? Trust me! Do it! This is the voice of reason talking!

-B.

Default The censor on the BS board

lack of reasoning, b.
    Like brute4c says, (Fact) it locates the center of the drum otherwise it would be off center and if left out like brian does it could cause petal pulsations low stopping force due to the brakes not hitting all the way around sso for now brian your still batting 100% WRONG. keep up the good work. the drum centers are bigger than the hub so it fits loose and with out screws it would be offcentered like brian.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Does the drum not also locate on a machined step on the hub? Just wondering since that would negate the need for the screws.

Chris

6. Default

I got nothing to add except DON'T LISTEN TO BRIAN!
    1969 M715

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPabst
    Does the drum not also locate on a machined step on the hub? Just wondering since that would negate the need for the screws.

Chris
    Finally, a guy "In The Know". Indeed, there is a circular machined ridge around the hub, and there is also a tapering of the lug studs. Both of which will prevent this drum walk that all the rest of you have pictured. What? Did you think that the lug studs were not threaded deep enough to hold on the drum? Did you all not notice that the drum sits in a circular hold around the hub face?

Where is Barry? His opinion is the spoken word in my mind.
    -B.

I have to agree with b. the drum seats on a shoulder and is pulled tight when convex wheel lug shoulder is clamped against hub . I s-canned my screws as well.

9. Default Does anyone have.......

the movement however slight over time from hard braking(and even harder braking w/ larger diameter tires) will cause your lugs to loosen and brake shoes to wear uneven. Drum set screws seem to be used alot more on older euro cars and not so much on american cars.
    1969 M715

Three ittty bitty screws vs. 6 big nug nuts..... hmmm wonder who would win that one