Thread: distributor problems

hello
    i have a 1967 kaiser m715 and i need to remove the stock distributor. i have followed the online instrucion manuals but it will still not come out maybe some of you have had a similar problem and could give me some tips/tricks that you used to remove your distributor. it seems to me that the shaft has either rusted or seized itself to the housing does this sound plausable to any of you?? i don't know but any help is better than no help.
    thanks
    brad in iowa

Default distributor problems

Small amount of heat to the timing cover.
    or
    Channels locks and rotated it.
    or
    18" block of wood from the bottom side and tap it out.

If you are planning on reusing the dist, the first is probably your best bet for not destroying it, But I have used a combination of the last two without hurting anything, just go easy on it.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

thanks for the reply and i asked some locals and they said to put the #1 cylinder at tdc and then try to remove the distributor would this help?? it doesnt make any sense to me but then again i don't have a clue anyway so...
    thanks
    brad
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Default Parts Washer

Won't help a bit in removal, helps you line up the rotor and timing on reassembly.

How far from Newton are you?

Doug in Iowa

i live in dubuque but i got the distributor out and replaced the coil and condenser and reground the points but i am only getting the spark to go to #1 cylinder and i heve only one idea and that is to clean the contacts on the rotor and the distributor cap but other then that i am completely lost as to what may be wrong any ideas??
    thanks for the help fellas
    brad in dubuque iowa
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Sounds like cleaning the cap would be the most logical step. I "think" I have a extra working distributor. I'll check my stash and let you know.

thanks while you are looking please look for a wires set for me too if it ain't too much trouble. any way if you have either that would be appreciated
    thanks again brad in dubuque iowa
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's