Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Engine Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Same here Don,
    I don't find my truck hard to steer at all.

I want the total M715 experience whenever I'm enjoying mine.

I just wish that I could remember to cancel the turn signals every time, while shifting through the gears.
    Even with an automatic I keep forgetting... got spoiled by the Grand Prix while my truck was down. Heated leather seats for the truck are on the list...

I put a Brodie knob on the steering wheel. Don't need it whilst moving but it sure helps in parking lots! Glad I took the battery box out though, would have busted my elbow by now.

Engine is out and since the transmission keeps leaking and has to be separated anyway, going to have the transmission shop do all the seals. What do you think about putting the PTO on at the same time. Don't have the PTO lever or all the drive parts yet but it has to be easier now than later. Thoughts?

Yes -'all the rubber mounts were shot (engine, trans and Z)

So now the bay looks awful with paint drip marks and pealing paint. Where do you stop?
    Going to paint the bay suspension/frame, wells and firewall a black satin. Not glossy - not flat.

Been posting pictures to the album.

Kind of afraid to rewire but know I have to.
    Still need a PTO lever or a sketch to make one up. Can't wait for TIG/ MIG classes to start.

PTO while the gear lube is drained makes sense. If you have a power washer, that may help clean up the engine compartment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Awca12a View Post
    ... hopefully it will be a fairly simple swap and have promised myself not to fall prey to "while you are at it" disease.
    Where do you stop?
    Exactly. If you've got the time/funds/whatever... do all you feel needs done or you want to do... and get ready for a frame-off.

I needed my truck back in service ASAP so skipped a lot of stuff I really wanted to do.
    "while you're at it" or "kick myself in the head for not doing that" .. both are terrible diseases.

don't forget if you remove the pto from trans case it has to be re-setup for correct gear clearence. those gaskets are of different thicknesses proper gear backlash is critical.

So an engine swap has morphed into installing the brackets for the Braden so everything gets painted the same color. After crawling through every winch post, I'm going to make a new one with drawings of all the brackets, etc. That said ...

1) the winch seems to have aluminum 1/2-13 bolts. Didn't know that existed. If I use Zinc #8, will I have a corrosion problem due to mismatch metals? What have others used for the remaining bolts? 1/2 is too big for the bumper holes leading me to 3/8"?

Also, does anyone have a drawing for the question mark shaped bracket on the bottom of each bumper half the bolts to the winch itself? That one part has stopped me in my tracks. It's the sixth photo in this thread showing a side view of the bumper half mount.
    looking for winch mounting pics

Thanks and sorry for what. Just be obvious questions to most here.

You can get aluminum bolts from Mcmaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cap-screws/=ythart

Is the winch mounted with aluminum bolts?
    Thanks, George

I may have the brackets you're looking for....I will be pulling my engine today and I still have all the brackets on the winch. I am selling the winch if you're interested.

I'll get some pictures over tonight once I'm done.
    "I can fly...I'm a pilot."
    - Independence Day

Ctaviator - I'd greatly appreciate those two brackets. Depending on the cost, I may also be interested in the winch as a backup for parts once I stripping mine down. I'll PM you.

Flingarrows - love the name. I'm a recurve shooter myself. Yes - it has aluminum bolts but there are 4 missing ones. Thanks for the resource as I'm concerned about the zinc mismatch.

Flingarrows - love the name. I'm a recurve shooter myself. Yes - it has aluminum bolts but there are 4 missing ones. Thanks for the resource as I'm concerned about the zinc mismatch.
    Yea it grows on you. I shoot a light poundage Hoyt, its easy on my shoulders
    Thanks, George