Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccum wiper problems

Default Vaccum wiper problems

Here my little problem ... I got two new and perfect running condition vaccum motors. I have try to installed them in different way with the vaccum lines but i don't remember how exactly mine were plugged. And this make me angry because each time i must used them , the passenger side alaways comming in the way of the driver side ... so they blocked each other in the moddle of the windshield .... so i turn back the vaccum switch and have only the driver side working.

So my vaccum lines may not be plugged the right way ... Does anybody can confirm how to really have thems wired and include a good picture if possible.

If i still got too much troubles with it ..... cj style swap this summer.

Thanks
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The vacuum line just has a "Y" in it that splits to the two wiper motors. They have only one connection on them for vacuum and that is the one facing the side.

Be sure the wiper arms and blades are the correct length. If they are too long they will hit each other if they happen to cross paths. With the correct arms and blades, they should clear each other no problem.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    The vacuum line just has a "Y" in it that splits to the two wiper motors. They have only one connection on them for vacuum and that is the one facing the side.

Be sure the wiper arms and blades are the correct length. If they are too long they will hit each other if they happen to cross paths. With the correct arms and blades, they should clear each other no problem.
    Is it a "Y"? I think mine are plumbed in series. Hose coming out of driver's side unit into passenger side.

Now that I think about it, the driver's side is a little weaker. Maybe a "Y" setup is better.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Mine had a "Y" in the line that was metal, so I assume it was stock, but not dead certain. I ditched the whole mess anyway and went with electric wipers last Summer. I've been much happier.

Mine has a brass Y where the line splits just above the drivers wiper. The blades shouldn't hit each other. Pull the arms off and move them away from each other a little of change the angle of the blades.

There is supposed to be a horse hair or lambs wool or some kind of animal product filter inside the filter housing. Take the two little phillips head screws off and remove the little cover. Make sure the air intake nub is not blocked and that air actually gets into where the filter is. Try running the wipers with the filter off. It should basically fly with the engine at idle. If it doesn't, try some 3 in 1 oil where the filter goes to lub up the piston some. I did this to mine about 5 years ago and they have worked great off the 396 vacuum ever since.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I did this to mine about 5 years ago and they have worked great off the 396 vacuum ever since.
    I cleaned, greased, disassembled, washed, greased, oiled, bead blasted, painted, cleaned again, oiled the flaps, cleaned the air bleed holes, and repeated, and at best the wiper motors would work OK at idle, but with any acceleration, they'd drop out. I even added a reservoir and still they'd only try to work. I have a very mild cam that still develops good vacuum, and my power brakes work fine along with my MAP sensor for my injection.

Now with a flip of the switch, the wipers always work.

Well, yes they don't do much on acceleration, but at idle and coasting, they are great.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I had the same issue, but as someone else already stated, I realized the wiper size was the problem

My bad, I just went and looked and there is a "Y" in the line. Anyway, as others have said, they shouldn't be long enough to hit each other. I believe the stock blades should be 11" or so.

With the stock blade length, if the arms are adjusted long enough that they hit each other, then they would be scraping the bottom of the windshield as they sweep, as well.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

I think your wiper motors are worn out, the wipers on the FD brush truck work all the time, idle, driving, acceleration. I had the same problem on my 63 cj5, I took them apart and cleaned the hard grease out of them, relubed them, and they work. there is a guy on ebay that rebuilds the motors, and you can probably buy new ones reasonable.

Duane