Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer case issue

Default Transfer case issue

Hello everyone, I've got a issue with the transfer case. Let me tell you the journey of my two day trip. (GPS) 60.4 miles, 1 hr 24 mins. Figured abit longer since I'll only be doing 50-55 mph on open road and 25-35mph in towns I check all my fluids, lights, ect. ect, and started my journey stop at fuel station and filled tank. I drove over a steep mountain, through two towns and started to smell something getting warm about 5 mins later noticed a little smoke coming threw the transfer case stick hole, I pulled over and shut it down, I'm already about half way into the trip, the smell now I can tell is gear oil. I craw under and noticed a good stream out of the front driveshaft seal. I sit and let it cool off, pondering to venture on or turn around. I go on, truck has plenty of power, hit a hill she slows down like I'm towing a load, beds empty. Throttles up no problem I can feel resistance tho. All I am carrying is a cross bow and clothing. I pulled over two more times played with the transfer case sticks engaging the front axle in and out and also high and low, and neutral?? I disengage the front axle put it in high shift in reverse drive about 15 feet and then in 2nd and release the clutch fairly quick to see what wheels are engaged, only the passenger rear spins (disturbing the gravel). I continue on, going the speed limit at least what the truck says. I start looking threw the case stick hole and notice the front driveshaft spinning...???? I thought it isn't supposed to unless you engage the front axle?? I pull over a few more times to let people pass and cool down. I arrive at my destition 3 hrs later lol. So this morning I grab some gear oil. I downloaded a speedometor app to my phone and compaired it to a cars speedo and a garmin gps all three read about the same giving a mph or two. I check my transfer case and empty wet but empty, I put about a qt in a half in, and am on my way. We'll after I watched a mustang punch it too hard coming out of a curve on a wet road fish tailed three times and launched it off a bank into a stream down 10-15 feet below the road. Nobody was hurt. So on my way back I started back fireing and bucking like a horse, did it a dozen times, guessing the crack in the exhaust manifold and blown out exhaust flange gasket is to blame for that..??.. I pull over about 25 mins into my trip back, pull over at a tsc buy some wrenches and take out the front driveshaft, I immediately notice it moving easyer and not as strenuous feeling. So after some more bucking and afew stalls, and 3 n half hrs later I'm 30mins from home and she shuts down and doesn't start back, pull my distributor cap open the open the points apart and fire it back up. Made it about 400 yards and she dies again. Look at my points closer and there's holes in the center of the points. I call a friend and he grabs a set and brings them out. We get them changed back out and fire it up. She runs surpurb now not backfireing or anything, I beleave the points came lose from the bucking at first. Dispite the transfer case and points issue the truck seems ok, a few things I know I need to do shackle bushings, exhaust manifold crack and flange gasket, my only real consern is the transfer case staying locked in, Is it supposed to be? But I can distinctly feel it being engaged or disengaged or so I thought. On the trip down I ran 45-55 when able too by what my speedo said, on my way back my speedo is 15-25 off any giving time, com pairing the two I was only running about 40ish my way down, on my way back I ran from 38-50, 53 being the fastest and alil sketchy lol.

The front drive shaft spinning is normal. That's the main advantage of lock out hubs, the wheels are now free spinning instead of turning all the axles, shafts and disengaged transfer case gears. Pulling the front drive shaft is a poor boy
    method of lock out hubs.

I wanted to take the strain off the case, what would cause it to stream out gear oil from the seal? It wines pretty loud, read that's normal, it made me worry abit so I pulled it, guess I'll look into hubs

Regarding the manifold crack, they can be repaired. It is not a just fire up the buzz box gig, there are shops and skilled people who can do the job properly.
    When installing the manifold, check for warpage across the ports of both the head and manifold. When torqueing the manifold, do it exactly as the TM states. The manufacturer has done the homework regarding the method of securing the manifold so it will not crack and or leak. As well the gasket manufacturers have done their homework so the manifold can expand and contract and the gasket will still be intact to do its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser68 View Post
    I wanted to take the strain off the case, what would cause it to stream out gear oil from the seal? It wines pretty loud, read that's normal, it made me worry abit so I pulled it, guess I'll look into hubs
    Check the vent line from the t case. Most likely it is plugged allowing excess case pressure to build up. Remember these vehicles are designed and built for fording so all axles, cases etc are sealed with a designated vent line to prevent
    water from getting in when submerged. The parts manual is the better reference for all the vent lines, shows the connections and routing of them.

I'll check the vent tubes, I am not running the stock engine or transmission, I have a 71 ford 360 and a 74 ford 4 speed transmission, bolted to the stock transfer case, I figured ild start leaking from some seals and gaskets on this drive, considering the truck has sat since 2000 and not moved till I started looking at it to buy.

Paragraphs, please

Sorry about my typing, punctuation, and grammar, I'm still learning proper grammar ect ect. The school I went to was a very poor half assed, teachers don't care about teaching and they push you threw to graduate, I should have not. So I'm 28 with a middle school education as far as English, grammer skills go, I'm glad my father taught me how to work hard to get what you want, things are not handed out to you. Unless your from one on the wealthy ridiculously loaded, types of ppl. Lol so again sorry for my jumbled poor English skills, lol hey it could always be worse lol

So I pulled it into the shop today, to get out of the rain. I crawled under and started looking around at the vent tubes and case. One tube that splits into a y is clogged with dirt, the other tube is melted shut where it had touched the exhaust pipe. Wonder why it overheated and pushed out through the seal. I'm going to pick up some new hose and redo both of them. What's the best seal for the front output shaft, rear also Or do they all start to leak after a couple of drives like I've read. Also is there an info on switching the rear driveshaft to the same output as the e-brake to quiet it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser68 View Post
    Sorry about my typing, punctuation, and grammar, I'm still learning proper grammar ect ect. The school I went to was a very poor half assed, teachers don't care about teaching and they push you threw to graduate, I should have not. So I'm 28 with a middle school education as far as English, grammer skills go, I'm glad my father taught me how to work hard to get what you want, things are not handed out to you. Unless your from one on the wealthy ridiculously loaded, types of ppl. Lol so again sorry for my jumbled poor English skills, lol hey it could always be worse lol

No worries, we are all learning. Just some constructive comments. Breaking a text into paragraphs makes it much easier to read.

Good luck with your project.