Thread: winch help

how do you get the shaft out of the drum? do you need to? my brass gear is not flat across the teeth. its scalloped in the middle. is it supposed to be?

i am re sealing it and cannot figure out how to get the brass gear off. or do i need a ress to just ress bothbrass gear and dog eared side off leaving the center shaft in the drum?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcinfantry
    how do you get the shaft out of the drum?
    Remove the two clutch woodruf keys on the shaft and pull the brass gear and shaft assembly out the other side. You will need to pound the shaft out of the drum. I used the backside of a screwdriver (os as not to damage the shaft) and a hammer.

my brass gear is not flat across the teeth. its scalloped in the middle. is it supposed to be?
    Yes!

i am re sealing it and cannot figure out how to get the brass gear off. or do i need a ress to just ress bothbrass gear and dog eared side off leaving the center shaft in the drum?
    Leave the gear on the shaft and remove the shaft as explained above. I just rebuilt my entire winch from the ground up. Also stripped and painted. Any more qts. just give me a holler.

You

Blog Entries

Default Re: winch help

BTW - you HAVE to get the drum off the shaft to replace the worm key side seal on the drum.

Lee, expect the two big ass woodruff keys on the clutch side to be a royal b!tch to pop out. Check the worm gear for pitting. One of my deuce winches got water in the drive side and it pitted the worm ..below the water line...bad. I had a broken winch and replaced that worm with a good one.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spicergear
    Lee, expect the two big ass woodruff keys on the clutch side to be a royal non repetat. to pop out.
    I can confirm that. I was able to remove one of them myself but had to take the assembly to a machine shop to remove the second.