Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbing the bed.

Default Bobbing the bed.

Well, I have wanted to do this for a LONG time now, but today I actually went out and started doing it!

This isn't the final length, it will actually end up being about 6" shorter then then. Or the end will be just about where the cut was made.

Default Bobbing the bed.

Oh, the total length that I will be removing will be 18" from the bed.
    I have started chopping the frame. I am cutting it the end of the bracket for the spring perch that is inside the frame rail.
    After this is all done, I will need to make a rear cross member and mounts for a bumper.
    Either way, my departure angle just increased greatly!

Hammer, Your grass is still green, you suck.

Are you going to shorten the wheel base at all or just the rear end?

Gonna try to reuse the stake hole and just try to reattach it to the box side?
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Lol, that is one of the few green patches around. Of course I don't have snow around here either.

I am leaving the wheel base alone for now. I might be changing it some if/when I go to coil springs and Rockwells.

I am going to reuse the stake hole. I am actually going to use the entire rear section that I cut off. I am keeping the floor section attached to the rear, and will overlay it on the current section to fix/cover the rust holes I have there about that cross piece in the bed.
    I have another cut to make to allow for that section to all fit in. I ran out of cutting wheels today and it started raining. So I will get to it this week I hope. Right now I already have the rear section cut into the shape I want/need. I just have to cut the bed again to match the zigzag pattern.

This will be the final length, but it will have the end welded in this spot.

Here is how I cut the rear into the proper sections.

And here are the rust holes I have covering with the extra floor section.

My grass is under bout 18" of snow, 20+ mph wind and I spent 45 minutes stuck in a drift today...... I HATE snow.

Any plans for the front yet? I've considered sliding the axle an inch or two forward on the springs to help the approach, not sure if I will or not.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I love snow, but I also like to get away from it!
    As for the front, that is still under consideration. If I go with coil springs, then it will definitely change a lot. I was thinking I could shorten the entire front end, extend the axle forward some to help clear the big tires with more lift, and maybe have a look something like this.

Default Quick pics of bobbing the bed

Well, after a discussion the other week, I finally remembered to look for the pictures I had for when I bobbed the bed on my m715.

And here you can see the good section of the bed that I kept so it could replace the rusted section. I didn't just cut an entire chunk of the bed/sides off, I kept the floor part intact to fix it.

And here is a decent picture of how I put it back on before I traded the truck off (unfinished suspensionaxle swap of course).
    Nevermind my bro-in-law goofing off.

Holy massive tires Batman!!!

Nice pics...should save those...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Haha, yeah, I went for 44" tires to 53" tires
    Then traded the entire thing off to Pascal (FSJeeper).
    He plans on going back to smaller tires and just 1 ton axles though.