Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Need the winch bumper and roll cage updates on here. Would love some up close shots of how you ran the front legs on the cage and if the windshield latches are still functional.

I didn't realize that I didn't have those pics! I'll link to them at a minimum (I'm trying to keep the build in ~3 different sites so it's a bit tricky).

https://overlandbound.com/forums/thr...-8#post-550531
    This page has all the bumper and roll cage pics. The front legs of the cage don't allow for the windshield to fold over any longer. I don't do it anyways so I'm not heartbroken over that. I still need to tie the main hoop to the frame...

On the note of "projects never finished", I've started to address the 715's biggest issue: the tires. The Goodyear OZ's that came on the wheels that I got from Trailworthy never rode very nice. They're extremely loud, have poor damp road behavior, are about 20yrs old, and do not balance well. The balance is the biggest issue. they wobble bad between 50-60mph. I found a local shop that is willing to balance oversized tires (even with the double beadlock), but since I put ~4500miles on the unbalanced Goodyears, I'm not sure they will balance now.

So, I did what any self respecting offroader does and bought new tires! These are 37" BFGoodrish Baja T/A's that are NOS and only 3 years old! I got them from CSMarmytires and they got here quick for a great price!

I brought them home yesterday and got started immediately. I've messed with my wheels before but I've never had them fully apart. taking the outer ring off was easy enough, as well at the main wheel (tire spoons go a long way), but the PVC insert in the tire was a huge pain! I couldn't figure out how to remove it and every video I saw of people removing them, they just pulled it out with their hands! Well, the Goodyears must've been extra stiff or something because they didn't want to come out. I wound up looping a strap around the PVC and a garage rafter and used the weight of the tire to my advantage. That popped it out of there in about 30 seconds! Much easier!

Then reinstalling the tire and assembling the wheel was a piece of cake! I pressure tested it up to 80psi and didn't have any leaks! It's back down to 50psi and I'll take all 5 to the shop for balancing next week once I'm finished. I can't wait to have a "smooth" ride again!!!

@hayeselmotors

Blog Entries

For balance issues you need this. I have them on my truck with HMMWV wheels and tires from Trailworthyfab.

http://www.centramatic.com

For wobble you also need a VERY good single steering stabilizer or a double. Usually if you are over 35" tires you should get a double.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was thinking about getting a steering stabilizer to help with the front. the problem is, you can feel it coming in from all corners. and one of them was bad enough, that people have stopped me to ask about it because they could watch the tire wobble. my old NDT's never had issues like that. and they were 50yrs old!

@hayeselmotors

Blog Entries

That sounds like more than a tire and balance issue. If they can see the tire wobbling. Bent rim or front-end issue.

BTW those new tires are sweet! If they are a good as you say I might have to look into them as well. $$$??

Last edited by teking; May 22nd, 2021 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    That sounds like more than a tire and balance issue. If they can see the tire wobbling. Bent rim or front-end issue.

BTW those new tires are sweet! If they are a good as you say I might have to look into them as well. $$$??

yeah, I had the same thought. but I never had any wobbles with the original NDT's and the axles are still original. I did get the wobble to follow tires so I am hopeful that this works. I also did a rudimentary runout test on my brake drum surfaces and they were flat. wheel face was flal, but the outer wheel rim wasn't. The idea I was told was if the tire bead didn't get seated properly, the tire would be on the wheel kind of wonky, creating the wobble.

This is where I got the tires. I thought they were a great deal! Especially for the size and the fact that they are all brand new.

https://csmarmytires.com/%e2%80%8bbf...12-5x16-5-235/

@hayeselmotors

I got the tires mounted and boy do they perform! I 100x quieter ride and pretty sticky so far! We'll see how they age.

The downside is 2 of my wheels weren't made correctly. Luckily Trailworthy is replacing them for me. The wheels themself are out of whack and are the reason two of mine have wobbled bad. Even with that wheel, the truck is riding muuuuch nicer!

@hayeselmotors

Those tires look great!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Red_Jeep View Post
    I got the tires mounted and boy do they perform! I 100x quieter ride and pretty sticky so far! We'll see how they age.

The downside is 2 of my wheels weren't made correctly. Luckily Trailworthy is replacing them for me. The wheels themself are out of whack and are the reason two of mine have wobbled bad. Even with that wheel, the truck is riding muuuuch nicer!
    Wheel issue for wobble yep.