Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Default Nice Truck

Looks great! It's going to be a powerhouse.

I wish I could weld like that...

Keep at it.... your doing great work!
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Looks great! It's going to be a powerhouse.

I wish I could weld like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Keep at it.... your doing great work!
    Thanks all! The encouragement is is appreciated.

I wish I could weld like that too! haha. It's never a bad think to know a guy that can TIG.

@hayeselmotors

Today I got my exhaust manifolds back from the ceramic coater's. They look pretty good! I went with silver since the two options they had on hand were black or silver and I wanted to try to dissipate heat a bit.

I also decided to go ahead and get the truck box I wanted. After I get it bolted down, I'll relocate the batteries to the box. This way they'll be out of the weather and out of my way. I think I'll turn the center console into a boom box of sorts. Head units on the top and speakers on the sides.

I tried to fiddle with the clutch pedal mounting but with the time I had today, it wasn't going to happen. So I decided to turn my attention to the steering. I had ordered hoses for a J10 and lucky me! They fit the box and the Ram's pump! I need to route the return hose in a bit of a funky direction to avoid the radiator but otherwise, it's looking good! I'm also putting a small cooler on the frame crossmember to cool the steering system. I've at least got one system mostly figured out!

@hayeselmotors

That’s a tight fit!

Quote Originally Posted by jhartings View Post
    That’s a tight fit!
    But it fits! We angled the radiator away from the engine a bit as well. But I think anytime I want to work on the accessory drive, I may have to remove the radiator. I hope not, but it's a possibility.

@hayeselmotors

After fiddling with the radiator and power steering for a while, I realized that those hoses I was trying to use didn't have the right end (they are flared where they should be o-ring style). So while I'm waiting on my new hoses, I figured I'd start work on the clutch.

First thing was to figure out how to sneak in a master cylinder in a place there was never supposed to be one. Since I have a vacuum brake booster, it firewall space more of a premium.

I found a suitable location utilizing a hole that is unused in the clutch pedal mount. I needed to drill out all three holes and grind down the lip in the above picture. The idea is to put the master cylinder to the left of the pedal and relocate the bracket (or make a new one) to work with the new push-rod location.

Drilling the holes wasn't too bad and the master cylinder fits! Although, I got it a tad close to the fender liner. Oh well.

Now all that's left to do is shorten the push-rod and make some form of bracket on the pedal for the push-rod to mount to.

@hayeselmotors

ok, so long time no post. My primary driver (the 80 series land cruiser) blew it's head gasket and that combined with work took away from 715 wrenching time. I was finally able to dig back into it again tonight for a bit. I messed with the fuel tank mounting some more but I need some material before I can make any more progress... I notched the cross members where the new sending unit / pump sticks up but it's so tall that I still need to space the tank down 2". I'm definitely going to need to make one heck of a skid plate for it.
    In the meantime, I was able to bolt down my storage box and fiddle with the wiring some more. I couldn't get my code reader to work the other day and determined that it wasn't getting power. So I rerouted some 12v power and now the computer can talk with my scanner!

It's throwing an evap purge solenoid code but that's not a big deal since it's no longer there. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the mess of wires... I'd love to get rid of that distribution block but I'm not sure I can. I might tuck it all up into the dash and strap it down out of the way.

While I was contemplating where to run the wires, I had my head in the footwell and pushed the pedals out of frustration. To my chagrin, it looks like when the clutch gets depressed, the firewall deflects... I should probably brace that soon. This project feels like the definition of "so close, but so far" right now...

@hayeselmotors

Is your hood going to close with the radiator sticking up high like that?

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Is your hood going to close with the radiator sticking up high like that?
    It should. the final height is the same as the OE radiator. We test fit the hood earlier and it looked ok

@hayeselmotors