Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Shocks

Anybody have part #'s for new front/rear shocks/...are they both the same?...thanks Kevin
    1968 M-715 Ex-Brush Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M715 View Post
    Anybody have part #'s for new front/rear shocks/...are they both the same?...thanks Kevin
    Never thought much about shocks on the truck Kevin. Glad you brought up the question, look forward to seeing the answer. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

They look easy enough to replace as far as access....mine look original and the bushings have some slight play in them....figure a new set couldn't hurt.

I got new shocks for my truck (actually NOS) from VPW. The original ones on the truck were not bad but the rubber bushings were gone. So, if you disconnect one end and try them, they may be OK. Maybe you can find the rubber bushings. They are two piece and easy to install if I remember correctly. I don't remember if I replaced the back ones. I will check next week when I see the truck again...

If u are just concerned about bushing u can get new rubber or poly ones pretty easy. Auto Zone and places have them or eBay, amazon. Just need to measure them and order the right size. Pretty much just goes off the sleeve size.

Be sure to measure front and back, top and bottom. They are different in lots of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    If u are just concerned about bushing u can get new rubber or poly ones pretty easy. Auto Zone and places have them or eBay, amazon. Just need to measure them and order the right size. Pretty much just goes off the sleeve size.

Be sure to measure front and back, top and bottom. They are different in lots of cases.
    And to add to the above, they are two piece with the opening in the shock being somewhat tapered from the outside (double taper) making installation straightforward and easy.

Thanks Don, The 45 yr old bushings are shot, If the shock feels good then I'll just replace the bushings....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M715 View Post
    Thanks Don, The 45 yr old bushings are shot, If the shock feels good then I'll just replace the bushings....
    Yes. My shocks were beat up but useable. However, I already had the new ones and just replaced them. Very easy. I would bet you can get the rubber bushings that you need...

Shocks are relatively cheap for the cheap ones, which are better then those old ones. Once u get a part number of the correct length. It would seem J truck shocks would swap. Once u got them off I say go for new and be done. Factor in cost of bushings vs new ones, might not be much more.

A lot of times you can buy shocks without any part numbers, just by knowing the extended and collapsed lengths (eye to eye), which are usually published by manufacturers. The bushing style is fairly common, making both the new bushings and new shocks pretty easy to find. I would consider "cheap" shocks to be somewhere in the $30 ea. range...