Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I need front bumper build ideas

Default So I need front bumper build ideas

I have to build a front bumper for my M715 and am looking for inspiration.

Mine is significantly taller than stock, spring over and 11r22.5s, so I want to make it a drop bumper. It has to hold a 10k electric winch and I want it hidden in the frame rails so it doesn't block the radiator.

So many pics from bumper threads are gone cause they were hosted on PhotoPHucket ... have we found another pic hosting site to use?

Just looking to see what others have done or I might just have to drop a 8" C channel on it.

Thanks

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

C channel works great. 7" with a couple of wedge washers fit's the frame rails near perfect.

C channel looks good.

I've got a Hmmwv bumper going on mine some day. Not stock, but I think it fits the military "slab o steel" look.

I've seen a few 715 builds that made custom bumpers with a bunch of angles and flat plates. Do not like. While they're slick, they look anachronistic, like they belong on a SEMA brodozer.

7" C channel hear too. I was going to use the wedge washers like Kwai suggested and bolt it on but ended up welding everything together. Even with my booger welds I don't think it's going anywhere.

Another section of the C channel between the frame rails for the winch to perch on. 12k Harbor freight winch.

It looks bigger from the angle, width is the same as the fenders.
    IMG_20160930_125658936 by kerry walker, on Flickr

Pilfered some old roller mounts from work and cut them down to make bumper mounts for the bottom and some 1/4 angle from the winch plate to the back of the bumper. Shackle mounts are bolted on in front of where the angle is welded up. Then bolted the stock "bumper wings" back on. I don't know what those are really called... they make a good place to put my tools or coffee cup when I'm working on the truck though.

IMG_20160922_165324877 by kerry walker, on Flickr
    IMG_20160923_103149638 by kerry walker, on Flickr
    IMG_20160924_084726429_HDR by kerry walker, on Flickr
    IMG_20160924_121519688 by kerry walker, on Flickr
    IMG_20160924_163835729 by kerry walker, on Flickr

It's pretty tight in there, shoulda moved it out a hair farther. I gotta keep the cable neat or it'll rub on stuff while it's rolling up.

Thanks for the responses!

What Von showed is pretty much my plan unless something else pops up that works/looks better. That is why I asked, was hoping someone had gone another route that fits with the M715 look.

I have zero plans to build a modern style formed bumper, they look ok on newer rigs but way too often they just appear over the top. We have a vehicle that looks better with simple stuff. So essentially I agree with Subybaja's opinion. The hummer bumper would be great in the rear but not really a option for the front.

Von, the only real change that I would do to the design on mine compared to yours would be to lower it. I need a bit of a drop because of how high my rig is. That is part of the reason I'm thinking of using something slightly taller than the 7" channel and maybe tip the edges back a little towards the fenders.

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Quote Originally Posted by 12998 View Post

Von, the only real change that I would do to the design on mine compared to yours would be to lower it. I need a bit of a drop because of how high my rig is. That is part of the reason I'm thinking of using something slightly taller than the 7" channel and maybe tip the edges back a little towards the fenders.

Paul
    On a taller truck lowering it would look great. You might also leave more room for your winch than I did. I trimmed my front valance a little so the cable would have a little more room, but on awkward pulls the cable bunches up and drags on stuff. I'll live with it till I get around to synthetic rope all the cool kids are using now.

I thought about angling the ends back. Some of them I've seen looked great and others didn't. may have been the angle itself that made the difference. Couldn't decide and didn't want to cut it back off if I didn't like it, stuck to the stockish look.

And yeah, those modern looking bumpers just look funny on our rolling bricks.

I agree about the angled bumpers, and the ones that are shorter than the normal width. Some look great and some look out of place, and I could never put my finger on what worked and what didn't.
    I wish I had copies of the winch Spicer put into his truck, tucked under/beneath/hidden by the valance.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I'll continue jumping on the channel iron band wagon. I have had it on my truck more than 10 years now.

Spicer used a Garwood PTO winch and some industrial chain to power his winch tucked down like it was. Electric will probably be simpler.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

the c-channel looks like the stock bumper only tougher. Find a 24V 18K surplus winch and you will be able to pull about anything. And it will tuck up between the frame rails.

2x8 lumber painted black might be an easy way to try out angled ends.