Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump replacement

Default Fuel pump replacement

I just picked up an 1968 M715 awith a 230 Tornado and it ran long enough to back off the trailer. The lines appear to be free but it seems the pump is not working. It's a stock pump. Which civilian pump can I use in the meantime? I have had no luck finding the 6510 civilian model. The lines have two new filters one near the tank and one near the carb. It will attempt to start when dumping has in the carb but it won't hold long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with your local NAPA Auto parts. Because our trucks were based on the civilian jeep, they do usually have some compatable parts. They may have the fuel pump. Memphis Equipment is a good source for NOS military parts. Memphisequipment.com
    68 M715
    Hey, what's this do?

The civilian pump would be from around 1962 to 1965. They would have been on the Jeep Gladiator truck for one. Of course, it would be with the overhead cam 230 CID engine.

Thanks guys. I checked with them all but they don't carry them anymore. I did get it running finally. I'm not sure what the problem was. I took the old pump of, partially disassembled it and put it back on.

Great. Glad you got it running. If you do need to replace parts, memphis equip is a good source and they ship quick
    68 M715
    Hey, what's this do?

Glad you got I going. When I got my first truck It already had a 12volt fuel pump mounted in the Line on the frame rail. I'm guessing the Fire department. Installed it . It runs off one side of the battery and is manually turned on by a switch mounts on the dash. A cheap easy fix if it gives you any further trouble in the future.

There are several older threads about which fuel pumps will bolt on and work. Not many of them are still available new and none of them are able to live with the new chemical junk gasoline has become. You will also find threads about a company called Then and Now which makes Ethanol friendly fuel pump rebuild kits. Still more threads about how the in tank pick up sock gets gummed up and won't let a working fuel pump full fuel from the tank.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks, I'm thinking of adding an
    electric one too. Before I wire stuff so I keep the current 24v or convert to 12v? I have a lot of things I need to do and even more that I want to do.

The Airtex 6510 seams to not be available anymore, but the Carter M3561 seams to be available on several on line parts websites. http://www.thewrenchmonkey.com/produ.../carter/m3561/
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Nice! Thank you.