Thread: "Load to max gross weight, drive 100 miles, see if problem still exist."

Default "Load to max gross weight, drive 100 miles, see if problem still exist."

I have been ignoring my M715 the last few years. Less than 1,000 miles a year and only a few shows/parades each year. This past weekend was the Museum of the American GI open house and MV parts swap meet.

I decided I would drive the M715 the 70 or so miles each way this year. When the weather guessers decided their wouldn't be rain, I pulled the hard top. I took it to town to top off the tank and while down shifting for a light, the engine died each time I pushed the clutch in after letting the engine slow me down. It fired back up as soon as I let the clutch back out, but that was a new issue.

Once finally stopped at the light, I kept it revved up pretty high and got to the fuel station. I only needed half a tank, but it had been last summer since I had last put fuel in. I really hadn't driven it much.

Once home, I played with it and figured out how to make it die. Snap the throttle up from idle and let it go back to idle. It would shudder some and then die. Classic 6.2 IP in its death throws symptoms. Darn. I figured out that a single click on the hand throttle was enough to make it not turn off. I tried it several times and felt sure I could do the trip and then worry about fixing it later.

It has been almost a year since the top was last off. I forgot how nice the truck is to drive like that. I made the trip Friday at Warp speed, 52 mph, camped with the group, was part of the convoy to the show with people on the troop seats, part of the convoy back and then drove home at Warp speed late Saturday evening.

I didn't touch the hand throttle until I was back in my drive way. I couldn't make it even shudder, much less turn off anymore. It just needed a good run and some attention thankfully it seems.

The point. Drive your truck. It will like it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Throw some good diesel treatment in there too from time to time. Your IP and injectors will thank you.

I do at every fill up. It just hasn't been filled or run above idle for very much the last few years.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Diesels like to be run, and can express certain undesirable symptoms when not. The gm 6.x platform seems hate sitting the most out of all the diesels I've used. But much easier to start in the cold over the Ford international diesels. The Cummins is overall the very best, but not as fuel efficient as a GM or Ford Motor.

Glad to hear it all worked out though.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk