Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old gasket supplier

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Old gasket supplier

I don't know if this fellow has any M715 gaskets, but he might be worth a shot. I know some of you guys running the Tornado are finding less and less gaskets available, so maybe this may be a source. I ran across his ad in an old Gas and Steam magazine. He's located in Port Orchard, WA.....

No searchable database, but he does have an inquiry form:

http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/index.html
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That's not to far from the binford man. Cool. Good post Randy!
    I wonder if Kanter has much inventory.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Last I looked at Kanter, the had some civvy 230 stuff, but not much in the way of Mil engine parts. I bought a lot of straight 8 Buick stuff from them a few years back. Not cheap but good service and quality.

Sounds like Olson's supplies to all of those places though, so maybe the source may be a better option.

For anyone thinking of making their own gaskets from sheet material--Does anyone still do this---anyway spent shells make good punches for bolt holes.

We find it necessary to make gaskets all the time. The sheeting is available in a variety of thicknesses. We have the complete hole punch kits (1/4-1'1/2") and a type of compass with a cutting edge for larger circular shapes. On some odd shapes we "peen" the gaskets dims.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

The gasket that would be nice to have would be the discontinued felpro composite head gasket... 8024?, or 8074?...something like that. Been years since I was trying to track one down.

It's extra thickness would enable you to mill the head, or deck the block and still retain the same height in terms of the timing chain.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I know that Fel-Pro also made some head shims years ago for the Datsun L6's so you could mill them and still keep the same dimensions. I suppose the same thing could be done for the 230, but of course they'd have to be custom made.

They used to ake a .060 shim for the 230 head...I saw an old parts book that listed the head gasket and then the shim...good luck finding one...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I didn't realize they actually did produce one. Was it aftermarket or a Kaiser part?

The Datsuns had such a problem warping heads that they made the shims up to .125 thick, then they made shims for the cam stands as well.

I saw it in an old felpro listing...dont know if the factory made one but certainly the aftermarket did.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!