Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel bellhousing patterns

Anyone know what bellhousing patterns Detroit Diesel used on the 353, 471 and 671? I'm looking to put something different in my M715 and possibly my early Bronco. I may use a 4BT in the Bronco and I know they use GM pattern (SBC, BBC)

THX

Greg

Default Diesel bellhousing patterns

Dude, 4-71 is kinda heavy and the 6-71 is just big. I think the 3-53 has an SAE#2 or #3 bolt pattern. They can usually vary from one model to the next.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I know that at work we have some doodlebugs (articulated steer swamp buggies used to drill seismograph holes) that have a 4 cyl detroit and a gm sm465 truck 4spd. I looked at them once and don't remember seeing an adapter plate so I know someone makes a housing for it. I will try to get a casting # the next time they show up.

I was leaning away from the 671 due to the size and weight issue.....but I'm not ruling anything out at this point. I once saw a guy with a 671 in a Chev 2wd pickup at New England dragway run high 9's w/ propane, mid 10's w/o. I wish I had checked out his setup closer.

GB

Man, I can't imagine how much noise one of these trucks would make with a two-stroke detroit,200 x-case, and5.89 gears

Gama Goats had GM four speeds hooked to their aluminum two stroke detroits! Somewhat popular swap is an SBC bolt in to the tranny.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Default Active log in

somewhat is the word, as Gamma Goats are fairly rare on UT highways at least LOL..

Earlier I posted about the Cummins/GM auto adapter that MUST be available somewhere. Apparently this is an industrial/commercial combo, found commonly in say, step vans. So it's possible that the adapter is still out there from the factory, either GM or the diesel manufacturer, for use in just such a vehicle. Might be worth checking out.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default New wiring harnesses

CAT wanted $500 for a stock adapter going from #2 to #1 bell housing circle. The stock M35's have a plate that goes from like a #0 on the multifuel to the #2 (i think) on the CAT. I ended up drilling my own patter on that plate...cost me about $3 in socket head cap screw and a little grinding on the bellhousing.
    Big Blocks RULE!

May be a change in plans.....I was just offered a running 199? Dodge 3500 2wd Cummins 5-spd truck for $1200. It has a cast iron trans in it (are those Getrag pieces of crap aluminum?)

GB

I think so and I believe they don't have a seperate bellhousing