Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

If you buy a Kobalt Extreme socket set at home depot $15-20 the top of the sockets are open for using on long allthread. wratchet is completely NOT Normal. you slip that socket over Plug then put a regular plug socket onto that, worked out for me mine had M38A1 plugs and were really tight on top.

also you`ll want to check threads in head as mine seam to be cross threaded by PO from using too tall of plugs. I put 2407`s in and tightened up #2 with socket and the it moved while putting wire on and was loose. had to pull off wire and retighten plug again.

I could see how that would work fine kwai. The longer plugs are just to close together at the top. I pulled all the plugs out and put them in a spark plug cleaner. They look brand new, although they were really in good shape as I pulled them out. The last cylinder plug towards the firewall had a very minor buildup up of deposits on it. Everything is back together now, and I'm waiting on a new coil from Ohio. More Chinese crap I'm sure.
    Hope it solves the problem though.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the make and number of the shorter spark plugs. I'm using the 2344 plugs I believe.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

autolite 2407

Thanks Jimmie. Maybe should have put in the shorter ones while I had the old ones out, but they're like new and have about 1200 driving miles on them. Maybe next time.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Thanks Jimmie. Maybe should have put in the shorter ones while I had the old ones out, but they're like new and have about 1200 driving miles on them. Maybe next time.
    My own personal experiance.
    There will never be a next time, unless you get those shorter plugs ordered, and have them setting in your tool box.

Check this out. It can't be right. Says a package of four for $7.49 at O'Reilly Auto.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1&keyword=2407

Here is how I get my plugs out, and it works very well. I use a cheap 3 way thin wall motorcycle plug wrench like this.

The 13/16 fits the plug and the other end is 5/8 so I took a bolt that has a 5/8s head and used two nuts to lock themselves. Put the socket down over the spark plug and then put the bolt in the top and use a 5/8s socket on the ratchet. Because the bolt can float around a bit it allows you to have some misangle to it which helps in the tight spots. This set up worked for both when I had the longer plugs and the shorter ones. The short plugs make it quite a bit easier to get at them and to install/take off the plug wires.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a lawnmower spark plug socket. Looks just like the one above. 13/16 on one end, 5/8 on the other. Fits right over the 2344 long plug with no problem. I put a 5/8 socket and ratchet with short extention on the other end and it works great. I'm sure your socket is stronger Beast. Same principal though.
    Spark plug wires are a little tougher. Bending, cutting, and grinding a box wrench seems the best way. All my plugs and wires are installed now, until next time.
    Testing and replacing coil is next.

Don, that seems like an unbelievable deal on the 2407 plugs. Did you act on it?

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Don, that seems like an unbelievable deal on the 2407 plugs. Did you act on it?
    I'm driving to Florida tomorrow. I have one very close. I will pay them a visit on Thursday and report the results! Somehow, I don't think it will work.

For that matter, NAPA has them for ~$8.69 or so each. I have the longer plugs in mine now and no problem. So for now, I am letting that "Sleeping Dog Lay".