Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M715 question

Thanks, so what’s everyone’s thoughts on keeping the original trans and engine in for daily driving and trail riding? If the engine and trans are decent I’d like to just do that, but worst case if I did swap out the engine with a SB Chevy could I still keep the original trans and get by? I’ve been doing some reading and it seems most people are saying the gearing isn’t really meant for anything over 45 or so?

Not to scare you... as I think the failure rate isn't a high % but people speaking about it is....

The NP200 original T-case "historically" does not take daily driving at higher speeds well. (It overheats in some cases).

The engine while up to the task, if daily driven regularly requires some maintenance and upkeep... of which spare parts can be difficult/problematic to find especially locally and in a pinch. (water/fuel pumps, carbs, generators, starters, distributors, etc etc etc).

Most approach it as a "run it until a problem arises" then address...
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Not to scare you... as I think the failure rate isn't a high % but people speaking about it is....

The NP200 original T-case "historically" does not take daily driving at higher speeds well. (It overheats in some cases).

The engine while up to the task, if daily driven regularly requires some maintenance and upkeep... of which spare parts can be difficult/problematic to find especially locally and in a pinch. (water/fuel pumps, carbs, generators, starters, distributors, etc etc etc).

Most approach it as a "run it until a problem arises" then address...
    Ok, so how difficult would it be for me to swap in a NP205? If you see my first post you’ll see I have very limited experience...Hopefully I’m not in over my head, I’m willing to buy a welder and learn to weld. I know a guy that I could possibly bring it to for the welding, but I know after what I spend with him I’d probably be able to buy a welder at that point...

Nice truck! Looks like it's already had some work done. AND you have the top bows and frame! hardest body parts to find are top bows and frames and a straight bed.
    You have the fender flares too?

The 205 swap is a job. I've done a lot of swaps in different vehicles. I'm a half-@ssed decent welder. I just did a 205 swap in mine and it was work. They mount differently so you have to fab new mounts and keep the correctly geometry for the driveshafts and jackshaft from the transmission.

The 205 swap also brings about other swaps. Your parking brake is on the NP200. If you swap a 205 in you have to either..
    1) Run without a parking brake, which might make it hard to get it inspected, depends on how well you know the inspector.
    2) Swap in newer axles that have the parking brakes on them.
    3) Swap the 200 parking brake to the 205.
    I listed those in order of expense.
    If you keep it under 50ish MPH the NP200 will be okay. You get used to being the slow one and avoiding interstates...

I had planned on daily driving mine when I got it. Nope. It didn't take long for the stock engine to peter out on me. It wasn't in the best shape when I got it. It's a good engine and would be good for daily use as long as it's maintained and in good shape.

I'd get it running and see how she performs, then go from there. A lot of the parts for it are hard to come by. I think you mentioned it needed a distributor.

I run mine with the stock drivetrain and rather enjoy it, but I do that aware of certain limitations.

First, 45 indicated is Vne, except for very short periods of time. I took a 360-mile road trip last summer with zero t-case problems, but I had to get creative at times in order to stay off the interstate. I also run Amsoil 85-140 oil. Second, I won't go to the mountains on a summer weekend because I don't want hold up traffic climbing hills.

As long as I'm mindful of these limitations, I enjoy driving the stock configuration-- it's the way it felt, sounded, drove in '67.

If you have access to a machinist buddies.... an NP200/205 brake conversion is simple (cost me a case of beer)

(Have to mill in the NP205 bearing housing bores into the NP200 rear retainer plate.)
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Ok, so the plan will be to try to get it up and running while keeping it stock as long as the engine doesn’t need a serious amount of work. The one thing you have me thinking about is parts availability and price so if the engine isn’t up to par I’ll put in a SB Chevy which seems like it’d be the easiest swap (even though I have no knowledge of installing a new engine) along with a NP205 and then possibly a new trans?

Here are a few pics
    Last edited by Lowcountry; December 10th, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

More pics
    Last edited by Lowcountry; December 10th, 2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Nice truck! Looks like it's already had some work done. AND you have the top bows and frame! hardest body parts to find are top bows and frames and a straight bed.
    You have the fender flares too?

The 205 swap is a job. I've done a lot of swaps in different vehicles. I'm a half-@ssed decent welder. I just did a 205 swap in mine and it was work. They mount differently so you have to fab new mounts and keep the correctly geometry for the driveshafts and jackshaft from the transmission.

The 205 swap also brings about other swaps. Your parking brake is on the NP200. If you swap a 205 in you have to either..
    1) Run without a parking brake, which might make it hard to get it inspected, depends on how well you know the inspector.
    2) Swap in newer axles that have the parking brakes on them.
    3) Swap the 200 parking brake to the 205.
    I listed those in order of expense.
    If you keep it under 50ish MPH the NP200 will be okay. You get used to being the slow one and avoiding interstates...

I had planned on daily driving mine when I got it. Nope. It didn't take long for the stock engine to peter out on me. It wasn't in the best shape when I got it. It's a good engine and would be good for daily use as long as it's maintained and in good shape.

I'd get it running and see how she performs, then go from there. A lot of the parts for it are hard to come by. I think you mentioned it needed a distributor.
    Yeah that sounds like a hell of a job, I wonder if I can pull that off. Yeah I also have the fender flares and the brush guard