Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front knuckle housing

It is crazy...basically I just gave a "dont do this to your truck" warning there...I think it was actually Barrman who bought the axle and did the autopsy on it....I could be wrong on that part but I know it was a highly respected mechanical member like him.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Well Jon, this has been an informative post I think. Hopefully everyone got the message, to not pack your front knuckle housings with grease. Everything in moderation. More is not better in this case.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Ill tell ya, I am so thankful for this forum. When doing a routine lube maintance, I saw the fill/drain plugs at the knuckle. I figured because of where they were, that you would just put a gear oil and be done. I even had the bucket sitting beside the wheel ready to go. Then I thought, I better look this up on the forum. I put heavy duty gear grease in. Next time, I will go with the pudding. I think I might make a special grease gun, just for it. (pulled the end nipple on gun, for faster fill. Yes, my hands are tired)

Get the John Deere corn head grease. Fits right into your grease gun.

Just to confirm (or refute) a hunch; the grease in the knuckle is really only for lubing the king pins, right? My '08 Dodge has its front axle shaft u-joints sitting in right out in the open. I wouldn't think they're different in their construction from an M715 u-joint, so no actual lubrication of the u-joint can take place due to the bearing seals, even if they're surrounded by nutritious, delicious cornhead grease.

Am I on the right track here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Just to confirm (or refute) a hunch; the grease in the knuckle is really only for lubing the king pins, right? My '08 Dodge has its front axle shaft u-joints sitting in right out in the open. I wouldn't think they're different in their construction from an M715 u-joint, so no actual lubrication of the u-joint can take place due to the bearing seals, even if they're surrounded by nutritious, delicious cornhead grease.

Am I on the right track here?
    The u-joints inside of the steering knuckles shouldn't have any seals on them allowing lubricant to seep into the needles.

I use 140w gear oil in all of my 1960's jeep steering knuckles.
    I also keep the hubs locked in on them to keep the gear oil slinging around.

Look into 00 grease sold at tractor supply. We use it in hay mowers and hay rake gear boxes. Like a thin grease or heavy oil

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ndle-grease-00

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    The u-joints inside of the steering knuckles shouldn't have any seals on them allowing lubricant to seep into the needles.

I use 140w gear oil in all of my 1960's jeep steering knuckles.
    I also keep the hubs locked in on them to keep the gear oil slinging around.
    Thanks Dan-- I haven't been in there yet, so I'm not yet familiar with those knuckles.

I don't yet know what exactly I'll put in there, but those hubs will stay unlocked until I need them, maybe lock 'em once in a while to keep things lubed. Not enough oxygen around here to burden the 230 with unnecessary frictional loads.

That is a good plan as long as you do lock them in sometimes to lube the upper king pin bearing...otherwise...bad things happen...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!