Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to this

Default Brand new to this

Better with gears then grammer ....new to this site and value knowledgeable gear head opinions...picked up a sweet little m715 after parting with my m37...engine is stuck and I'm thinking on different repower options...I'm a big gm nut and have the usual suspects on hand..350 w/400....292 with sm465&205...or a recent acquisition...91 12valve with overdrive auto and transfer case...experienced gear heads start your opinions

Its only money, so spend as little or much as you want to make it your own truck.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Quote Originally Posted by Fear no gear View Post
    Better with gears then grammer ....new to this site and value knowledgeable gear head opinions...picked up a sweet little m715 after parting with my m37...engine is stuck and I'm thinking on different repower options...I'm a big gm nut and have the usual suspects on hand..350 w/400....292 with sm465&205...or a recent acquisition...91 12valve with overdrive auto and transfer case...experienced gear heads start your opinions
    If you search this site, you will find hundreds of repower discussions and build ups. Welcome.

These trucks just beg for modification if you look at them the right way. As posted above, pretty much anything that starts has been swapped in before and probably documented here.

My suggestion is to figure out what you want to use the truck for 5 years from now. Then start building for that.

Parades and Sunday afternoon burger runs. Pick up one of the stock engines that show up all the time for free and be done in a month.

Making the trek to Rednecks with Paychecks to play with the big boys. Then a Viper V10 is just right for you.

Driving the AlCan highway headed to Barrow. Maybe a diesel would work best.

The list goes on and on.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I hear ya there....got busy on the old girl last couple of days...filled her plum full of marvel and low and behold she broke loose...runs amazingly smooth...buddy of mine told me about using dawn dish liquid down the carb to clear out the excess oil and seat the rings...worked like a charm!!

I would have put money on this thing not running or running like crap if it did get started

The 230 is an amazingly resilient engine to abuse and neglect. Kwai had one that was locked up. We tried pulling it with him popping the clutch. Nothing. Finally in a why not, it's already toast moment. We put it in reverse and tried pulling it forward. That broke it loose. It was running like a top 10 minutes later.

The stock engine in a stock truck lets the truck do exactly what it was designed to do very well. Move 1.25 tons of stuff off road in any condition or 2.5 tons of stuff on road up to convoy speed. 45 mph. Driver comfort was not a design consideration by the way.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The 230 is an amazingly resilient engine to abuse and neglect. Kwai had one that was locked up. We tried pulling it with him popping the clutch. Nothing. Finally in a why not, it's already toast moment. We put it in reverse and tried pulling it forward. That broke it loose. It was running like a top 10 minutes later.

The stock engine in a stock truck lets the truck do exactly what it was designed to do very well. Move 1.25 tons of stuff off road in any condition or 2.5 tons of stuff on road up to convoy speed. 45 mph. Driver comfort was not a design consideration by the way.

Since all of the information above was appropriate and absolutely correct, I "quoted" all of it.

My experience, when I got the truck, it had been sitting outside for at least two years. It had no carburetor. I was given a carburetor which I rebuilt. (I later discovered that the carburetor given to me just may not be for an M715)

I was told that the truck was running. When I tried to start it, it backfired and just would not run. This went on for a few hours. Then, an epiphany. "Could it be as simple as the firing order not being correct on the ignitor?" It was. The ignitor was wired clockwise instead of anti-clockwise.

Whilst the engine was not locked up, it was very difficult to turn. Finally, it started right up. Lots of smoke for a while. But now, after about 5 years and a few hundred (not Thousand!) miles, no smoke, no oil consumption other than a few leaks and runs just fine.

So, as you must already know, I am a "Stock" guy because that is what I remember and I am not into off road etc.

Please, "Enjoy Your Truck"!

The last sentence of Barrman's post spoke the most truth to me: I'm probably a little bit shorter now that I drive my 715 regularly.

Driver comfort was not a design consideration by the way.
    It was sized just right for a skinny 18-20 yo private in 1967. 35 years ago you probably wouldn't have had a single complaint.