Thread: 12v for M35 heater

Default 12v for M35 heater

My truck has a Hunter heater from an M35 in it, like in this pic I ganked from Blitz...

When I did the engine/trans swap and rewired for 12v I stole the blower motor from my 65 Fairlane... The cage was a hair longer than the one on the 24v unit I pulled out but a quick shim fixed that... then I sold the 24v blower motor.

Well now I'm back to work on the Fairlane. I was going to buy a new one for it now blower motors with a fan are nonexistent. I can get the motor but not the squirrel cage.

Does anyone know of a 12v equivalent for the 24v blower on the Hunter heater box?

Default Hunter 12v motor

I have the same M35 Hunter heater unit in my M725. I swapped the original 24v motor for a nice two speed motor that I bought on E-bay and the mounting holes lined up perfectly with the Hunter military motor mounting plate.
    This is the one I bought new/NOS for something like $30 made by DCM, but they are also made by Bergstrom, Blue Bird too:
    D-001C-428 DCM 12V FAN BLOWER MOTOR 5/16" SHAFT CW ROTATION BLUE BIRD BUS 228072
    I know I also bought a three speed motor for another M35 heater I have that also fit the M35 heater but can't find the data on it now.

The biggest variables to get right are fan direction, fan shaft diameter and shaft length. I did a lot of research and looking to find the right unit. The vented or non-vented motor housing, mounting studs on one or both motor ends, grounded or insulated motor case and which end of the motor that the wiring exits was less important to me . . . .(but the non-vented, insulated case, wiring exit on the fan side and mounting studs on just one side provides the best match to the factory Hunter blower motor).

Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

schweeet! Thanks Bryce!

awwww you used your old squirrel cage, that doesn't come with one..

1969 M725 ambulance

Cool. And cages right under there...

After my employer paid me to scour that website for a few hours... I finally found a fan that I think will work.

http://www.mixerandplantparts.com/Ky...-p/1199015.htm

All I had to go on was the dimensions of the Fairlane fan, which was actually a hair big. 5 3/8 diameter and 2 7/8 wide. I had to shim the motor up on the housing to get the fan centered and not rub on the back of the housing...

Found a motor mounting plate at Millsupply and a 2 speed switch with a resistor on ebay.