Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

ive tried several wiper vacuum motors on my 6.2. maybe my pump is bad, but all it dose is make the wipers have a spaz attack, wont even do a full wipe, new hoses too.
    my signature is sweet huh?

Ill be very interested to see how they turn out. I havent wired up my wipers yet. If they arent worth the time, Ill just go ahead and replace them.

Thanks for the info to come!

Sir, I've been stripping this 78 Chevy and as doing so, I've noticed that the 'bosses' in the stock 715 header panel looks to be kinda far away from the windshield. ('cause I wanted to use the Chevy linkage and arms)

Is your kit that your 'modding' going up top or beneath the glass?

Errol

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

These motors go on top of the windshield frame in place of the original vacuum motors.

The spots on the cowl were where the civilian trucks used the wiper pivots on the slanted glass windshield. I can't see a way you'd get wipers to work from there on a flat windshield, and it would also hamper the ability to fold the shield forward onto the hood too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Here are the promised pics and my experience with the wiper conversion on my M715:

Before I proceed, I must say that this is the easiest mod I think I’ve done to my or any other truck, and it really is for the most part a bolt on. I got a little fancy with the switch, but other than that, it required nothing more than drilling two ¼” holes. This is all assuming you have a 12 volt truck and a wiring harness already installed, mind you. So here it goes:

First, here is what I was replacing. The cheap Chinese-made direct drive motors that work only when it isn’t raining and with any load, the heat up and shut off. Not a good thing when in a rainstorm and needing to see where you are headed:

While I was at this little mod, I decided to replace the windshield glass and gasket. Mine was de-laminating pretty badly and getting foggy. I also painted the windshield frame while everything was out:

Next is the actual kit itself. All three pieces. The two motors and the switch:

One thing about this kit I like compared to the cheap Chinese motors, is that the knurled wheel that the wiper arm attaches to is actually swaged onto the motor shaft, rather than the set screw arrangement that the cheap stuff used with no flats on the shaft to locate it:

More to come in the next thread……….

Next, I mounted up the motors. They fit perfectly in the original shaft holes on the M715 windshield frame:

The ONLY modification to the windshield frame with these motors is this one ¼” hole that needs to be drilled for the rear mount on the wiper motor. I also made an aluminum spacer for each motor:

As for the switch, I decided to get a little fancy here. You wouldn’t need to do this, but I decided to do it this way for two reasons. First, there are a total of four wires on each motor and three of those wires need to go to the switch, which would end up in a large bundle of wiring to have to run down the windshield frame and under the dash. Second, the original vacuum wiper switch was on the upper left corner of the windshield frame and it seems to be at home there. So here was my solution, that results in one ground wire to the windshield frame from the body and one power wire. Makes for easy removal down the road too as everything is self-contained for the most part:

And “militarized”:

Here is the whole install sitting on the bench and ready for the truck:

How does this all work on the truck? Well, here are the pics of the results:

First, as you can see from the front, it looks completely stock. The wiper motors installed as I have them sit nicely in the area of the windshield frame where the stock motors sat, and do not hang down, nor interfere with the top at all. They are flush with the top of the windshield frame, but they do not touch the canvas top when installed:

Here is a shot from inside with the top off (and yes, the star on the hood is backward):

And here is with the top on from both sides:

Of course it hasn’t rained in the several hours since I did this, so I can’t report on the actual functionality of the wipers just yet, but I can say this: These wipers work with some authority compared to the lethargic direct drive units. They also park simultaneously and out of the way enough to see. The sweep of the blades is 110 degrees and it is absolutely perfect for the M715 windshield, utilizing stock wiper arms. I just used a water hose and flooded the windshield and the wipers actually do something now. Plus they have high and low speeds, and the switch even has a terminal to add windshield washers if you want that luxury.

I will report on them further as soon as it rains again……
    Last edited by randyscycle; September 12th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

FANTASTIC write up Randy, thank you....I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Not gonna even try to see if the stock wipers work

Looks good. Very clean install. My truck is still 24v so this wouldn't work for me. I have some of the ones you originally had in 24v and I never had a problem with them, then again I have only drivien my truck in the rain twice. Once with the vacuum wipers and once with the electric. The way things are going here in Texas I don't have to worry about rain anytime soon.

SHOWOFF!!

Looks Very nice.. Those are the same motors that our tugs at work use (Hhhmm.. Maybe I can get in touch with some fellow GSE workers)

Errol