Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

You could use the '96+ bellhousing and use the internal slave. Other wise, yes, the 92-95 bell housings with the external slave will contact with passenger side drive shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I must have gotten pretty lucky. I found the transmission and bell housing at the same time.

The seller thinks the transmission and bell housing are from a 1997.

I will start cleaning it up in the next few days. I will also need to start taking the automatic out.

Great find.

You will also need a starter motor with the big opening at the gear. I think all the redux starters are the big mouth design so you probably already have it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim. I will need to figure out what yoke I have so I can get my jack shaft going sometime. Did GM use a Saginaw joint or a Spicer joint on this?

I don't remember. I did press the balancer ring off the yoke on mine to clear the cross member. Then, NAPA had on the shelf in my little town the exact conversion u-joint to go from the NV4500 to my stock M715 short shaft. I will have to go looking for the number, if I even have it anymore. That was 12 years ago.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

The jack on my engine hoist died last weekend. I finally got another jack for the hoist and got it working today. I picked the transmission out of the back of the truck and power washed it. I sprayed some engine de-greaser and power washed it again. It cleaned up a little. I can actually touch it with my bare hand and not get oily now anyway.

I am getting ready to pull the 700r4. I unbolted the drive shafts and shift linkage. I hope to start unbolting the transmission from the engine tomorrow.

I was thinking about pulling the cab for the transmission swap but am going to try it without removing the cab first.

I got the old transmission out on Sunday. It was easier than I was expecting. I unbolted the transfer case from the transmission before I took the transmission off the engine. I was surprised to see I had water in the transfer case. Not a lot but enough that it caused the fluid to turn milky.

I got the next transmission bolted to the engine yesterday. The shift lever fits in the tunnel cover perfectly.

I will need to fabricate something different for a transmission support now.

I have the transfer case under the truck but it was getting dark so I didn't get it bolted in yet. The transfer case looks like it will be in the way of the exhaust as it was planned before. Once it is bolted in I can determine what I need for a new jack shaft as well as brackets for the shift and brake levers.

So I will be draining the old oil out and installing new oil in both the transmission and the transfer case. I know the case takes gear oil but what about the NV4500? When I asked NAPA yesterday they couldn't cross reference the GM oil to anything they sold.

I searched google and ended up at wikipedia which says this:

Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant Mopar P/N 4874459 (Material Specification 9070)

GM Goodwrench® Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12346190, in Canada 10953477)
    What are others using?

Yep, the NV4500 needs a gallon of Syntech. Advance Adaptors had the best price the last time I was looking. Even the best price is super high though. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Castrol makes one, typically they only sell 5 gallon jugs, online retailers and 4x4 shops repackage it in smaller quantities, amsoil also makes one,
    http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ont%2fmtg.aspx

Dodge dealers typically have it cheaper then gm dealers, online prices could be cheaper, but don't forget shipping costs.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Yep, the NV4500 needs a gallon of Syntech. Advance Adaptors had the best price the last time I was looking. Even the best price is super high though. Be prepared for sticker shock.
    I thought it needed 6 qts? Or just under. My sm465 just took 5.2 qts of gear oil, and it doesn't have the short extension housing for 5th.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk