Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dana 60 sua steering questions

Quote Originally Posted by 67smith View Post
    I would use an outer round and an inner square u-bolt - use a plate under the spring- something just don't look right with that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I did, but his setup will work too, just a bit more complicated.

Ok, staring at it a little longer the two things that concern me are: no threads showing on inner u-bolts(probably caused not torqued?), and the outer portion is weak-because of the upper and lower welds-the most weak point of a weld is at the edge of a weld-I think if you add another brace to the outside edge it would be a better design. And improve general strength-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, for the feedback. Yeah like you said nothing is torqued down yet, but i doubt I will gain enough to get a washer and fully thread a nut on there once its at its final torque. I plan on machining some material out of there to make up the difference. Also, the piece on the axle tube will be welded on the tube. This was just a mock-up to see if everything was going to fit. Thanks again.

I plan on just doing highsteer and crossover on my Ford SUA setup.

Hopefully I can get the tie rod/drag link under the frame rail and still have suspension clearance. (Even though its only like 3" of travel before OEM bumpstops)

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

This is what I came up with. Thanks for the idea Mikel

Eightyduece....Given your pinion angle... do you think high steer arms (like I'm planning on doing) and linkage sitting atop those arms would clear the bottom of the frame rail?

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    Eightyduece....Given your pinion angle... do you think high steer arms (like I'm planning on doing) and linkage sitting atop those arms would clear the bottom of the frame rail?
    Look like you'll have 3 to 4 inches of clearance

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    Look like you'll have 3 to 4 inches of clearance
    Pretty much all the travel before OEM bumpstops anyhow. I'm hopefully going to be able to give it a go and find out.

Thanks for giving me a heads up and allowing to at least continue down that path.

Looks good!

One thing I would have done different is the bottom of the passenger side. Right now you have two u-bolts that transmit the load to the springs, in two localized areas. I would have put a plate there to spread the load and minimize the chances of fracturing a leaf. But I may be overthinking it. Keep up the good work.