Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M-715 Rewiring Advice needed

We rewired mine with a 12-circuit harness from Hot Rod Wires. The only difficulties we ran into had to do with making the turn signal unit on the steering wheel compatible with the harness's GM configuration.

HRW's products seem to be well made, well thought out, and they're priced quite a bit less than Painless.

I have purchased the crimping tool which was 30 bucks or so. The Packard connectors were a buck a piece too. Too bad on the hypelon going the way of the dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by 44willysmb View Post
    I have purchased the crimping tool which was 30 bucks or so. The Packard connectors were a buck a piece too. Too bad on the hypelon going the way of the dinosaur.
    True that. I don't have any "spools" of the correct wire. However, I have purchased some random military harnesses from eBay (not M715 specific). I take the wire that I need, often already having the connector on it. I also have the proper tape, no adhesive, for the harnesses. Also, most of the time, the wire insulation was just fine if you just peel back the wrapping tape and you get to wire that is still in good condition. I usually splice (solder) the new wire to the old, insulate it with heat shrink and then wrap it back up. I was able to repair several "modifications" done to my original harness.

Don, great advice! Going original appeals to me.

As far as I know hypalon wire is still made by prestolite and also by therm o wire. The mil spec number is m13486/1-5. I just bought almost 400 ft for 70 dollars including shipping. It is sold by awcwire.com, eriksmilitarysurplus.com and saturnsurplus.com.

Thanks!

I just acquired a NOS M715 wiring harnass yesterday! I'm so excited.

Saw the pics, I'm in awe you found one!
    Jonnie

Unfortunately, when I stripped the old wire out and tried to install my NOS M-715 wiring harness I discovered that it is indeed NOS but to a M-35A2! Crap.

I already answered your question in the other older thread but since who knows what a search of this subject will come up with years from now.

The M35A2 harness will work just fine. It already has the solid state blinker relay plug installed which is a plus. One or two loops of the blinker wires inside the valence should make it fit fine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw