Thread: brakes

Question brakes

ive read how to adjust brakes and all in the online manual but was wondering if yall have any tips about it ? hate to get hung up on little stuff , have everything blasted painted and ready to back together

Quote Originally Posted by jokerwild12345 View Post
    ive read how to adjust brakes and all in the online manual but was wondering if yall have any tips about it ? hate to get hung up on little stuff , have everything blasted painted and ready to back together
    They are very conventional, just like a car. Slip the drum on, rotate it and adjust the starwheel until there is very slight drag. That will give you a very good pedal. You can adjust the brakes through the opening in the backing plate if you have a brake adjust "Spoon". Or, adjust, put the drum on, rotate, remove, adjust again, rotate...

good deal thanks

I have to add a caveat to Mr. Cavey's sage advice: if your drums are worn like mine are, you won't be able to remove it from the hub without backing off the adjuster, thus defeating the purpose of the whole exercise.

I adjusted mine yesterday with the tool pictured as Don describes, and it's a breeze. You can use a large, flat-blade screwdriver if you don't have an adjuster tool-- I have in the past.

Yes, if the drums have a groove and/or rust ridge, they will not come off easily without backing the adjustment off some, that is if the starwheel will move!!!

I always wire brush the threads of the star wheel adjuster, and apply a little anti-seize to the threads when I have the brakes apart.
    Roy

I mixed some anti sieze and some kroil lube spray