Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bucking bronco

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I really think I need to bite the bullet and take her out on the road again to see if it starts happening again though.
    Test drives are so exhilarating! I always make sure I'm wearing comfy shoes, have my phone, an extra pack of smokes and a full thermos with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Test drives are so exhilarating! I always make sure I'm wearing comfy shoes, have my phone, an extra pack of smokes and a full thermos with me.
    Or instead of the Thermos, a six-pack...

My problem is, as a military collector, I have my truck filled with items in the cab and also the bed. I have two rifles in the cab, not to mention a PR25 radio that actually came out of Vietnam. Not to mention the M72 Law Rocket Launcher hanging from the top bow. All this and lots more, make it so I can never leave my truck unattended. I have to stay put and wait for the flat bed to come get it. I have to be honest with you guys and tell you that sometimes owning and drivings these things can be a little on the stressful side. Anybody else agree with that?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

My problem is, as a military collector,...
    All this and lots more, make it so I can never leave my truck unattended...
    ...Anybody else agree with that?
    Could not agree more. For that matter, I removed the key-type ignition switch which was installed by the previous owner. My truck is 100% stock. All you have to do is flip the ignition switch, step on the starter button and off you go.

Do you think I can walk away from my truck? And, I don't have all of those neat extras that you have.

My problem is, as a military collector, I have my truck filled with items in the cab and also the bed. I have two rifles in the cab, not to mention a PR25 radio that actually came out of Vietnam. Not to mention the M72 Law Rocket Launcher hanging from the top bow. All this and lots more, make it so I can never leave my truck unattended. I have to stay put and wait for the flat bed to come get it. I have to be honest with you guys and tell you that sometimes owning and drivings these things can be a little on the stressful side. Anybody else agree with that?
    Yikes! Yeah, wait for a buddy with a tow strap to follow you around.

When I got my truck stuck at the lake last year.. I pulled 3 out before I succumbed to the bog... I ended up leaving it out there overnight. I do have a keyed switch, not that the silly thing was going anywhere without an airlift.

She's a great truck, but not what you'd call a showpiece. I was more worried about my chains being stolen.

When you get to it and get it figured out let us know.

Took apart the ignitor yesterday. Checked for loose or broken points spring, loose wires, rotor, etc. All appeared to be ok. Cleaned up face of rotor contact, although it all looked good even before I did. Anyway, I put it all back together and fired up the truck. She started right away, and again idled smoothly and trouble free. Once again, I guess I have to man up and get this thing on the road in 4th gear at a steady 35 to 38 mph and see is she starts to loose power and start bucking. I'll keep everyone informed when I do.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have to be honest with you guys and tell you that sometimes owning and drivings these things can be a little on the stressful side. Anybody else agree with that?
    After three flat tires on the same wheel, the last without any apparent cause 170 miles from home, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I have to be honest with you guys and tell you that sometimes owning and drivings these things can be a little on the stressful side. Anybody else agree with that?
    Yep, me too. My first drive after the restoration, including the electrical, ended in less the 4 miles when she quit. China coil but I never got over the anxiety of any trips.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Yep, me too. My first drive after the restoration, including the electrical, ended in less the 4 miles when she quit. China coil but I never got over the anxiety of any trips.
    I am with Ron. China coil was the problem with my truck but at the time, I did not know. Now, with a stainless gas tank, original radiator with a new core in it, all is OK. But... I would not drive it from here to California. I guess what worries me is the gearboxes. I have not replaced seals yet. Yes, gear oil is cheap. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    .....All you have to do is flip the ignition switch, step on the starter button and off you go.
    Don,
    While I would be worried like you, there probably aren't many thieves that can drive a manual shift, let alone smart enough to know what the foot switch is for.

I got a call recently from two co-workers (46, and 54 years old) asking me how to start a Dodge M37 they were looking at.
    They figured out the ON switch but were baffled by what to do next, as neither had ever seen a 'stomp starter' before.
    Roy