Thread: Has anyone tried this Universal 1904 Carb??

Default Has anyone tried this Universal 1904 Carb??

I cannot find a core to rebuild my Holley 1920...it has a little crack in the core, someone had it soldered and after that solder fell out, the carb runs like garbage. I found out it had been soldered when I disassembled it during a rebuild..there was a tiny piece of solder hanging around under the float. It ran great before it fell out, surprisingly. And runs great if I put my finger over the crack.

Anyhow- I can get it to run decently if I position the choke in just the right position to cover the crack, but if I stop- or go up/down too much of an incline it will cause gas to seep in and flood the carb.

Long story short, I am sick of playing with it. I just want to replace the carb- which I cant do at this point, simply by lack of finding one to replace it with.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these universal 1904 carbs?

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/1904...ew_p_3141.html

I'd really rather keep everything stock, but if this will allow my truck to run and drive for the time being until I can hunt down that magical unicorn of a R3615, then so be it. Just curious if anyone has tried this carb? Any success?? I am mostly concerned about the linkage and the ability to clip the air filter to it.

(I apologize for any of my bad forum etiquette, I am terrible with these sites and they confuse me to no end.)

You might try some JB Weld on that crack if you want to stay stock.

I've considered it.

I am not a carburetor expert by any means, I figure even if I plug the crack I will end up with more issues with this carb down the road if I keep using it. I dont want to be 100 miles out of town and end up with it failing. I rebuilt it a while back, which improved it's performance quite a bit, minus the crack issue.

Just want to be able to drive the truck and enjoy it this summer, without the hassle of a questionable carb. It would be nice to have something reliable that I dont have to mess with constantly to get it working. That's why I'm leaning towards using this universal carb for just tooling around or driving it to events and such.

Do you want a 1920 body? I should have a couple of parts ones kicking around. Off running motors.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

I have a 1920 body that has 1 busted screw in the lower left hole that holds the plate for the accelerator pump in place. It's a clean body just needs the broke screw extracted.
    just pay shipping.

thanks for the offer! i just found 2 cores and am getting them shipped over