Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a M715

Default Just bought a M715

Hey guys.
    As the title says, I just bought a M715, my first one infact. Few questions I have:

Trucks been converted to 12v, the original light switch is still used, I assume lights were changed, distributor, and starter. Anything I should look out for in case this was hacked together? I have to figure out some wiring for turn singals as well.

12v ignition, what do I look up for cap, rotor, plugs, and wires? Carb might need a rebuild as well, runs rough.

Whats an easy solution to mangled seats? I have a pair of buckets from a Ford Ranger I'm considering swapping in.

Canvas top, dos, don'ts? Top on the truck is destroyed, going to need a replacement, looking on the cheaper side.

I thought these had heat? I see nothing for it.

On to the pics

Looks pretty good for a New England truck. You can swap in some FSJ heat components if needed. Seats you can adapt whatever you think works for you, again FSJepp stuff being easy...All depends on what you want to do with it...
    Is that real money?

Love seeing the pics! The trucks were built using the full size jeep trucks already in production so many items will fit from a fsj or waggoneer, such as a heating system. Much easier to find in the salvage yard. I bought a new canvas top from Saturn Surplus. Beachwood Canvas is another source. I'm sure there are more. What are your plans for this beast?

Yeah I'm seeing the surplus city tops aren't bad priced.

Another thing, clutch linkage, the ball and socket on the engine side is pretty pooched, where might i find one? FSJ again?

Plan is tune it up, make it a reliable runner, and drive it. I see 11.00R16 Michelins are non-existent, so I'm trying to find a similar solution. Local guy will reuse the centers and build wheels in 15 or 16.5 hoops, so that's an option too

And chains! You got chains!

16.5's and HMMWV tires look nice...
    Is that real money?

Yes it the PO loved hanging tire chains off the plow frame, haven't had the desire to pull them off yet.

Looked over the ignition and everything is new, so that's something off my list.

Tried going for a ride last night and made it 1/4 mile. Truck starts and runs fine in the yard, but going up the road it feels like it runs out of fuel. Checked the obvious, yes there's fuel in it. The guy put $20 in it on the ride to my house because it started to cough and choke because he was running it out. So the clear in line fuel filter has picked up some junk, I assume theres more in the line, and the pump is probably gunked up now. Ordered the carb rebuild kit using the Holley list # so hopefully its got the right parts, first thing first I'm dismantling the fuel system and cleaning it.

In less important news I got the canvas and frame off, and a decent canvas tarp to cover it incase of rain

I am glad that you got your truck. Gosh, there are not really that many out there. Congratulations.

As for sounding like it is running out of gas, that just quite be more true than you would think. Most of the tanks are full of rust and cleaning, coating etc. seems to only be a Band-Aid remedy. Coatings tend to flake of etc. You may also have a fuel line that is rusty inside and that will continue to cause problems. You might want to replace the steel line if it is in question. I am not near my truck but I seem to remember that it is 5/16" or so line from the tank to the fuel pump. And, the fuel pump may also be a problem. It is approaching ~50 years old!

Rebuilding the carburetor is always a good thing. And the clear filter will help you to see if garbage is being sent toward the carburetor. I still have a clear plastic filter on my truck. I bought a steel one from NAPA but have not gotten around to changing it.

The last thing I will mention is expensive. That is to replace the fuel tank. I bit the bullet and got a reproduction stainless steel tank from one of our members here. Yes expensive, but to me, the cost of peace of mind.

You should be able to look inside of the tank if you have to drop it. Watch out for the screws holding the fuel gauge sender. They will no doubt break off if you try to remove them!

Please keep us posted.

I'm wondering if it sucked up some nasty stuff when it was run low on fuel, and how far it got.

Fuel pump looks fresh, steel lines look decent on the outside. Fuel tank is a known problem for this truck, and one of the parts truck has a NOS tank that I don't think my buddy will be using anyways. Filler neck is pretty trashed so I'll order one if the other trucks don't have anything decent.

Goals (note for myself):
    Get running better
    Solve wiring mysteries, early style distribution box and when they converted 12v they got rid of turn signals?
    Change worn out parts
    Fluids
    Tires
    Buy canvas top before fall

More to come

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I'm wondering if it sucked up some nasty stuff when it was run low on fuel, and how far it got.

Fuel pump looks fresh, steel lines look decent on the outside. Fuel tank is a known problem for this truck, and one of the parts truck has a NOS tank that I don't think my buddy will be using anyways. Filler neck is pretty trashed so I'll order one if the other trucks don't have anything decent.

Goals (note for myself):
    Get running better
    Solve wiring mysteries, early style distribution box and when they converted 12v they got rid of turn signals?
    Change worn out parts
    Fluids
    Tires
    Buy canvas top before fall

More to come

A lot of people feel that when the fuel runs low, it sucks up the trash in the tank. But the pickup is always in the same place! If there is trash in the tank, it will suck it up full or empty. If you have an original tank, there is a very good chance that there is a lot of rust in the tank. It just comes with the turf (unfortunately). Easy for me to say when I am not spending the money. But I never looked back with a new tank. I am sure the new stainless tank will be around longer than me.