Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

I haven't checked to be sure but I think the other crossover has a different size bypass hose fitting? The water pump on the 98 has a 1" hose to the crossover.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yet another setback. This one was my own fault for overlooking a small detail.

Before I tried to route the crossover for the turbo I thought I should button up a few loose ends from placing the engine in the truck. I thought it would be a good idea to have the inspection plate installed so before I did that I needed to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. That's when I noticed the flex plate holes don't line up with the torque converter that came with the transmission. The flex plate on the 6.2 must be for a TH400 transmission

I'm sure I still have the flex plate that came from the 6.2/700R4 combo but I'm not sure where I stashed it. Regardless of where it is I will need to separate the engine and transmission.

Details details details...

Today I got the 700r4 flexplate swapped onto the engine and the transmission bolted back in place. It went better than expected.

Today I got a little more done. I got the torque converter bolted to the flex plate and the inspection cover bolted on. Then I started staring at the space where the drive shaft will go and tried to figure out if I can sneak the crossover pipe through that area without burning my transmission or getting crushed by the drive shaft when I hit a bump and the drive shaft comes up. There is not much room there.

I looked to see how Banks routed the crossover pipe.

That looks complicated to reproduce. Also the right side manifold on the stock 6.5 exits to the rear so I'd need to make a 180 in a small space. Going to the front appears at first glance to be just as difficult as squeezing it around the drive shaft.

I'm wondering now if I could maybe use some rectangular tubing and transition that through the tight spots down by my front drive shaft? As long as the internal volume is the same the shape doesn't matter does it? What is the optimum size of the crossover? The stock 6.5 crossover is a little narrow at one spot...

The Banks cross over is 2" ID.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

So I'm back ahead of the game today. I was pondering my front drive shaft and figured out the NP241 I had sitting there has the same size output shaft with the same spline count and is set up for a double cardan joint. I swapped it on to the NP208 and it seems to fit fine. I then measured the drive shaft length and went searching through my old jeep parts and came across a CJ7 front drive shaft the perfect fit.

The CJ7 drive shaft came from a 304 V8 jeep and is a much smaller diameter than what I was originally thinking of using. It leaves me with much more space to fit a crossover through.

I'm hoping to pick up some exhaust pipe after work tomorrow and get it connected as a crossover.

Also my new pitman arm came from BJ's Off road. I got that installed on my power steering box and I have the ability to steer the truck again.

It's nice to make progress even if it is only a little at a time.

My NV4500 slave cylinder is right over that drive shaft. 1/2" clearance had it hitting off road and at speed with 500 pounds of people in the front going over dips.

I ground it off some and rarely had any contact with 3/4" clearance. When I did the 6.2 swap. I tilted the engine enough that the shifter is real close to the steering wheel in 1st. I haven't measured it but it is more than my thumb clearance. I also know it hasn't hit since.

I did also lower that side bump stop just in case.

Basically, stock springs and normal driving give yourself an inch or more and you will be ok.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim. I was thinking of lowering the bump stop if needed. My son would prefer I do a spring over lift and some bigger tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    Thanks Tim. I was thinking of lowering the bump stop if needed. My son would prefer I do a spring over lift and some bigger tires.
    hes not wrong

I'm thinking maybe the next one will get lifted.

I did stop yesterday and pick up some parts after work but when my wife wanted to go out to eat. I decided that would be better than working on the truck.

I did get the new oil pan gasket installed when I got home. And when I eyeball the exhaust pieces it looks promising.

It's been raining all morning and this project is outside so I'm not getting much done on it yet today. I'm not sure if I'll melt or float away but the lightning keeps me indoors anyway.

I started looking at the fuel tank. It's in pretty poor shape. I filled it full of water and it was leaking in several spots. Looks like I will be needing a good one.

I decided since I'm likely going to replace the tank anyway I may as well see if I can stop the leaking and use it temporarily. I got out my wire wheel and cleaned off the flaky rust. I mixed up some bondoglass and gave it a good coating. I'll be checking it for leaks again after the bondoglass cures.