Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Default My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Not really sure where I should start this thread. But since I will likely make some modifications to the original design I figured it should be in the modified section.

I haven't really got a plan yet. I'm still trying to determine exactly what I want to end up with.

What I do know is I need to repair the significant rust damage before I have to worry about how stock to keep it.

Here it is the morning after I got it home.

It has a little over eight thousand miles on the odometer. The title was assigned to the owner in 1984. It has sat a long time unused. The previous owner did say he tried to get it going last year but gave up because his health was failing.

My first task was to see if I could get it to drive off my trailer. I checked the oil and saw it was low but actually looked fairly new and clean. I attached some new fuel line from the pump to a gas can in front of the truck and from the pump to the carb.

The engine had no generator attached and some of the wiring has been cut out. So I temped a couple batteries and ran a jumper from the coil to the positive side of the battery. There is no foot switch but there was a starter relay mounted to the fender. I wired to that and cranked it over. It fired up and ran great in just a few minutes of trying.

I was able to drive it off the trailer and onto my driveway. The brakes were not working so I didn't try anything crazy but was excited to hear it run so smoothly after sitting for so long.

Some additional photos to show what I am starting with.

And also some rust damage or "iron moss".

Started removing the rust today. I will be needing some floor pans soon. I'm not sure if I want to really torture myself and build my own or buy some pre-made and fit them in.

i was thinking about redoing my parts truck. who makes floor repair sheet metal ???????

Classic 2 Current Fabrication is probably where I would get mine if I don't end up making my own. There are other places too but being from Michigan I will try to support a Michigan company first.

Looks like a fun project Paul
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Haven't been doing much on this lately. I've had some honey do chores that needed to be done. I finished up what I committed to get done this weekend and didn't have much time left for this.

I decided I am going to make my own floor pans because I already have sheet metal pieces to experiment with.

I will need to add some beads in the sheet metal to stiffen it up and make it look like the original.

I checked with Hardly Freight for a bead roller but they were out of stock. That lead me to start investigating alternative methods. I came across a post at another site that described a way of making their own beads with a home made die and a hammer. I decided I would attempt it myself and started building what I plan to call a bead smasher.

I made a little progress on it yesterday. I haven't taken any pictures of it yet but if it works I will post up pics of the tool and the floor pan beads made with it.

I am using what I believe to be 18 gauge sheet metal. It is pieces I brought home from a construction job I was working on years ago. None of them are big enough to make a side in one piece so I will have to seam them in the middle. I could just buy a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge but will try this first. If it turns out to be too much trouble I will buy the new steel.

I got home in time today to spend a couple hours on the Jeep. I gathered up all my scraps of sheet metal and started measuring. It looks like I wont have enough to make a complete floor without multiple seams on each side. I've decided I will buy new 16 gauge steel instead of fiddling around with all the extra work of fitting and smoothing out multiple seams.

So I started on something else until I get the new steel.

The bottom of the battery box was rusted completely through. Tonight I chiseled the spot welds from the rusty metal and cut a piece of scrap sheet metal to fit. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get the new bottom piece into the box with the battery tie down points in the way.

I ended up folding the bottom lip one one side and folding the corners of both ends just enough to slide the new bottom in from one side at the bottom of the box. It fits well and even without being welded in place the box is already more stiff than it was.

Any pictures Paul?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I seem to be forgetting to get the before pictures lately. I will be getting some during and after pictures though.