Thread: Surplus Engine Parts - A Discussion

Default Surplus Engine Parts - A Discussion

Anyone who has shopped for surplus engine parts for the 230 know most of the common suppliers. Something about parts availability that has puzzled me for some time warrants some discussion. This discussion is about surplus parts, not aftermarket or custom manufactured.

Take rod bearings. Why can you find thousands of bearings for cylinders 2,4,6 in standard, .10 and .20 but none for cylinders 1,3,5 in any size? The same is true for the connecting rods. Lots of 2,4,6; no 1,3,5.

Next up is valves. Thousands of intake valves are out there but no exhaust. But, you will find no shortage of exhaust valve seats! I understand the exhaust valves may have needed replacement more than the intake but why all the spare seats?

I was not a motor pool trooper but I do know if any vehicle came in for a valve job or any engine overhaul, all valves were replaced and all bearings were replaced, so why the inventory discrepancies?

Some time ago one of the owners of VPW told me Jeep created the spare parts recommendations based on wear patterns but that doesn’t make sense. Maybe for cams and timing chains but not much else. Do 1,3,5 bearings wear out faster then 2,4,6? I don’t think so. Government procurement usually buys way more than is recommended no matter what.

Anyone have any light to shed on this?
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I do not have any answers...

Just wanted to post something that occured to me...

Possibility:However the odd number bearings were stored, maybe it was different somehow compared to the even ones...might have gotten involved in a submersion in water somehow or some other problem that led to them getting ruined en masse.

A wild (very) guess.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

When the gov't surplused all the m715's most of the spare parts were sold to highland auto in CA. They had a fire and many of the parts were destroyed. The fire is why some parts are around and others aren't. Tailgate chains come to mind. Only one side is usually available.

Vpw got the bulk of highlands parts. Other Mv surplus buyers got the rest.

Makes sense...sucks though.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yes, that holds true for more than just engine parts. Exterior door handles, gaskets for the door jamb and other stuff.
    I always figured the inventory just got split up at some point in the past, and VPW just ended up with the left or rights on some things and some other company had the rest.