Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: beachwood canvas top vs surplus city top

I keep wanting one of those roll back window tops, but since it only takes 2 minutes or so to remove/install the top I just pull the entire thing.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

That might seem like a fast time. However, I remember you and I trying to remove the top for Lee at LBL in 2004. "Don't pull on the snaps!", "Easy with the snaps!", "Both sides have to come off together!" "Pay attention!" It took us more than 2 minutes.

The roll up rear can be raised or lowered while driving down the road.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

but since it only takes 2 minutes or so to remove/install the top I just pull the entire thing.
    I call BS (or maybe wishful thinking).

I took my top (and frame) off on Saturday and put it back on last night. It took about 10 minutes to get the top off by myself and fold it and another 30 minutes to remove the bows and window frames and store them behind the seat.

On sunday, it took my about an 45 minutes to get the frames back on and 15 minutes to re-install the top. I think with a little practice I can get the frame re-install down to 20 minutes or so by doing everything in the proper order. It's not easy to get all the bolt holes and bows aligned at the same time (I ended up needing a large c-clamp).

I also discovered why the windshield bolts for the window frames are so long. The extra length allows you to get the nuts on and then pull the windshield tight to the frame. One of my other trucks had bolts that were shorter and I had to use a strap to pull the windshield in enough to get everything together.

Overall, I say it's 30 minutes to remove the top and 30 minutes to put it back up. Best case scenario. If you haven't done it much then it will be at least an hour. And an hour is a long time in a driving rain.

The roll up rear can be raised or lowered while driving down the road.
    Only if the passenger is doing the work. It requires 2 hands to get the straps attached to hold the window up and you won't be watching the road while doing it.

the window thing would be nice, but I am not getting anything from new life canvas, there is one member on the board that is either 2 months or just about that over her promise date. but I dont want this to turn into an anti mona thread like all the others, I like the beachwood top, but am debating over the darker surplus city top or the brighter green beechwood top, witch tops sag as previously stated?

All canvas will have a sag. Depends on humidity and temperature.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My M715 top on a cool morning is pretty taut, then on a humid Summer day, droops between the bows and looks sort of loose in fit. It is good and dry inside the cab though and hasn't needed any real attention.

It is a VPW top that is about 2 years old now and has seen about 75% of its time exposed to the weather.

As far as time to get it removed: I can pull the canvas in about 5 minutes. The bows and frames take a little longer, but still probably no more than 10 minutes tops. I did run a tap through all the holes in the window frames and cab, and use stainless bolts for all the connections with anti-sieze on top of that. Makes it a lot quicker.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'll be needing a top soon as well. I'm leaning towards Kwai's opinion in that having the sun beat down on you here in Texas can be brutal. A little shade and some breeze goes a long way. That roll-up panel sounds like a great idea to me.

The only one who makes the role up option is mona at New Life, if you check the thread tops tops tops in the
    open discussion forums, you may not want to get one from her

Duane

Maybe my top is just so old that it is easier, but even though I have to admit that I've never timed myself I'd be willing to bet it doesn't take very much more than 2 minutes for the canvas.
    Flip it upside down on the hood and start one side in as far as possible into the windshield groove, switch sides & pull it the rest of the way & do the front 2 snaps. Flip the entire thing over the frame & do the three inside straps. Snaps only take another minute or so.
    Maybe you guys just have better/newer canvas than I.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है