Thread: Big block exhaust system

Default Big block exhaust system

Getting close to putting a exhaust system on the battleship. Was hoping the big block boys could give me some pictures and tips on a system they used.
    Does anybody know of a system thats made for this rig? How about the hangers? The orginial system system for the 6 banger on mine used old close hangers. Thanks in advance!!

I'm doing the same, no kits. Everyones told me pay someone to do it, expect ~$400

I ran mine under the frame right behind the spring hanger and then under the cab outside the frame to exit just in front of the front bed mount. Glass packs first but they were way too loud. Later replaced with generic chamber mufflers which was very nice.

When I went to the 6.2 I cut a 3" hole on each side of the transmission cross member and ran the 2" pipe through them. Then ran them both into a Cherry Bomb dual inlet chamber muffler with a 3" single outlet. The muffler is where a normal M715 muffler would be.

I like the exhaust out the back a lot better than the side pipes which were very loud.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman, do you have any pictures of your exhaust system? I was thinking about doing the side pipes too, but considering something like you did with the 6.2

I'm sorry. It has been 12 years since I installed it and I remembered wrong. I went between the spring and frame in the front. I drove the stock powered truck into my shop at home on a Friday evening and then drove the 396/NV4500 powered truck to work on Monday. I slapped the exhaust together in a hurry using flex pipe where I knew difficult bends were going to be.

Here are the 2005 pictures of the exhaust:

I don't think I have any of the different muffler side pipe configuration. I will look around for pictures of the 6.2 exhaust.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I only seem to have a single picture of the set up and it only shows the muffler:

I also have a youtube of the first running of the 6.2 which almost, kind of shows the exhaust. But, not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPL5pTNCGhs

I did add a tail pipe after the video before I drove it around. I actually drove the truck last night and found myself stretching the shifts out when there were buildings to bounce the sound back to me.

Thanks Barrman. I think your pics convinced me to lose the side pipe idea. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing you had on there. Thanks again

Default Muffler

Would like the specs. of the muffler in the picture.

Here is the thread on my 6.2 install:

The 396-6.2 swap project

A good number of the pictures are gone from the thread though. Sorry.

I will one of these days upload all of my build pictures to the photo album section of this site so they will be on the site instead of with some 3rd party.

I think I have the muffler order ticket at home. I will try and dig it up. Cherry Bomb brand chamber 2" inputs and 3" output if I remember correctly.