Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She's just not starting

the m37 i drove at work to plow snow. would do the no start thing it was the points and condenser. the very same m37 is for sale at auction-gsa in fort collins.

rick

The issue was timing. As a buddy was cranking the engine, I wiggled the distributor until it caught. Now it starts on a dime. The timing isn't exact since it's still chugs a bit during acceleration. I can't fine-tune it since my timing gun can't get a reading through the shielded spark plug cables. Does anybody know how to use a timing gun on these vehicles? Is there an adapter?

Is it normal for timing to go drastically off within a year or so's time? How would I know if I have a worn timing chain? Can I replace the timing chain through the valve cover or do I have to take the whole engine apart?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Happy Jeeping.

There are two hold downs for the dist. Check both verify they are tight. One is into the block, the other is in the bottom of the dist housing, facing up from on the exterior.

The entire timing cover must come of the front of the block to change the T-chain. Just rig a short a newer plugwire and plug to check your timing, then reinstall your OE when you have it set right.

Doug
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

If you want to check the timing for cheap, you need:
    a 7MM solid core wire and ends...try a small engine repair shop, lawn mowers and such...
    Autolite #275 plug, the civvy equivalent
    Put the ends on the wire and remove the stock wire and plug from #1 cylinder. Carefully push the timing wire you made through the lid and into the cap until you are sure it is fully seated.iiit is possible to break the tower on th cap where the wire goes down through it so be careful or you'll be buying another cap...just go easy...then put in the new plug and hook the wire to it. You can pull another vehicle, 12 volt, up near the truck or use a 12 battery that has charge, to power the timing light. Clip the lead on the new wire and time away.
    It is very common to buy an M715 and find the timing 40 or more degrees off....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The army made a kit that had a short about 6 inches adaptor wire that would screw into the spark plug and then srew into the water proof wire. You then had a section of non shielded wire to hook the light to. I also just hook up to one of the 2 batteries for the light. The kit also had an adaptor for the distribitor to get the rpms and dewel. If your going to keep the vehicle stock it is worth the money (40-100 bucks depending on condition) for the adaptor kit.
    Zone holster maker

What about using a vacuum gauge to set timing? Where can one purchase this army tuning kit?

You can also use a vacuum guage to get the timing really close. Hook the guage up to manifold vacuum, start the engine and twist the distributor until you get a maximum vacuum reading, then retard the timing until the guage reads 1" less than the maximum reading you obtained. That should get you very close to the proper timing. Good Luck.

Just look around on the web for M series vehicle tune up kit or ignition kit. Many dealers had them...There was a flood of them on the market a few years ago when the Army went to its all diesel program.
    Zone holster maker