Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana 60 king pin

Default Dana 60 king pin

anyone up in the PNwet done a kingpin replacement ? or know someone/shop that can ? I am at aloss here, but I do know my truck is scary at bast to drive do to a ton of positive camber on the drivers front . any ideas would be helpfull .

Fiend

The plastic inserts are very easy to replace. Are your lower bearings OK?

I havent started tearing it apart as of yet , I dont know why but axels scare me . that is why I kinda wanted someone with alil knowledge to lead the way

Quote Originally Posted by Overfiend View Post
    but I do know my truck is scary at bast to drive do to a ton of positive camber on the drivers front . any ideas would be helpfull .

Fiend

What are the symptoms? Are we talking about a stock D60 or a kingpin one?

stock but I am under the impression that this is a kingpin aswell (as per PO 2530-928-6159
    ARM AND KING PIN ASSEMBLY,
    RIGHT
    25730X (72447) in the manual pdf)
    I have positive camber on the drivers side and one hell of a death wobble

Did you swap this axle in your truck? If I remember correctly, the camber should be between 6-8 degrees. If it is more it can cause death wobble. You may need to shim between the springs and perches to make the adjustment. Check with a shop that does alignments and they can tell you what the camber should be. My axles came out of a Chevy 1028 military truck. I just gave the alignment mechanic the year and model and he told me the caster angle. There are also some good articles at Pirate 4X4's web site.

it is the axle that came with the truck, closed knuckle Dana 60. so far all I have come up with is the lower kingpin is the adjustment point but I dont really know for sure. thank you for the advice ..

Quote Originally Posted by Troop ISP View Post
    Did you swap this axle in your truck? If I remember correctly, the camber should be between 6-8 degrees. .
    I think you mean caster (angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical), vs. camber (angle of the wheel relative to vertical, as viewed from the front of the front axle)

6-8 sounds about right for caster. Less than 4 will almost definitely cause death wobble (along with loose steering parts). I think that the IH Scouts had near 0 caster. I'm not sure why they didnt have death wobble.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Flingarrows View Post
    I think you mean caster (angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical), vs. camber (angle of the wheel relative to vertical, as viewed from the front of the front axle)

6-8 sounds about right for caster. Less than 4 will almost definitely cause death wobble (along with loose steering parts). I think that the IH Scouts had near 0 caster. I'm not sure why they didnt have death wobble.
    small tires
    1968 M715
    1968 M725

Quote Originally Posted by defbob View Post
    small tires
    Makes sense
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15