Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct hardware for attaching the torque reaction arm.

Default Correct hardware for attaching the torque reaction arm.

Does anyone have a list of all of the hardware/bushings that are needed to install the torque reaction arm? The pictures in the maint manuals don't help a lot, and I didn't see anything in the parts manuals. I'm quite sure I don't have anything that I should have, or maybe not in the right place.

I would also consider buying a handful of used (correct) parts if anyone has them, then I could look for new bushings later.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, I did find a 9 year old post that might have helped, but the drawing it referenced was gone, so I'm not sure.
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

Where exactly on the truck do you believe this needs to be attached?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It bolts to the rear of the transmission, right side holds the exhaust bracket, left side is a bolt and a bunch of washers, spacers, and a bushing or two from what I can make out from the manuals.
    Thanks!

Was it this thread?
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?p=132585

If so this is the pic you couldn't see.
    transmount by kerry walker, on Flickr

Yes, that's the one. And that picture shows up. This is the part that I think would help if I could find the 'drawing'.
    "By bolt #12, please refer to the drawing below. When I got my truck, bolt #12 was missing... Well, when I finally installed the stock exhaust system this past summer, I ran a bolt up thru there to fasten the bracket. I did not put a bushing (#5), nut (#3 lower) or rubber damper (#10) in there... However, if you look at the drawing, there is a nut, #3 (lower one), and a rubber bushing (#10) that makes bolt #12 a floating stud with its base attached to the frame plate."
    This post makes it sound like maybe there were originally bushings/dampers on both sides of this torque arm/transmission mount thing, and since I have it out, I'd like to try to put it back correctly.
    That, and I have the 'engine shake' problem mentioned in the thread as well.
    Thanks! I appreciate the help.

The smaller rubber insulator 1 1/2"dia. (lower right) is the correct size, the other two larger insulators are not, and I haven't replaced them yet

This bolt is 4 1/2"long x 3/8"-24. Wrong size rubber insulator.

This bolt is 3 3/4" long x 1/2"-20. I cant remember if there is a tubular steel ferrule inside of rubber as in the transfer case mounts. Wrong size top insulator.

Last edited by jeepdan; July 18th, 2018 at 08:19 AM.

Hmm, learn something new everyday. All 4 of the trucks I have experience with didn't have that so I had no clue what you were talking about. I guess I need to resume memorizing the manuals again.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I just remembered, there is a steel spacer on the drivers side that isn't seen in the picture. It's behind (inside) of the channel shaped arm where the bolt passed through.
    It prevents the channel from squeezing together from the bolt tension.
    I will try to get the camera in there tomorrow.

Barrman, this is one of those areas that the manuals that I've seen don't cover very well. Jeepdan's pictures may be the best record anywhere!

Jeepdan, Wow. Just wow. That's awesome! The pictures, and the condition of your truck, both.
    That's the info I needed to get this put together correctly. Thank you!
    There must have been a sale on those big bushings at one time. The only bushing I have is about that size too.
    I noticed that there is something just under the locknut on the driver's side that looks like it goes to the transmission maybe? Another bracket? I don't think I have that.