Thread: Garwood winch

Default Garwood winch

I have just installed an M35 bumper with the Garwood 10,000 lb. winch on my M715. After going through some old threads looking for some guidance, I was unable to get a clear picture of the best way to power this winch. I have a small block chevy w/700R transmission (np205 transfer case). Basically, I am unsure if running multiple shafts, chain drives, bearings, brackets etc. is the right way to go or not. I sure would appreciate anyone's input, especially those that have done the same or close to the same setup that I am running.
    By the way, the bumper/winch setup looks great, and will look like it belongs there as soon as I finish modifying the bumper ends. They stick out past the wheelwells by a few inches, and this weekend I plan to notch and bend the ends in for a more finished, stock look.
    I will post pictures next week of what I have done so far. (but the way, the Garwood input comes out almost directly across from the steering box)

I would love to see pictures of the mounts and bumper. Since I have a M715 with no winch and a complete M35 winch set up minus the winch right now. Another member here, Pistolnut, has a winch M715 with a bad stock bumper and a complete good M35 bumper.

As far as power goes, some have used a shaft that ends below the winch with a chain connecting it to the winch input shaft.

Others have had the shaft go under the winch, reversed the pinion inside the winch and used a chain on the front to drive it.

Another option is to install a hyrdaulic pump on the 205 pto and run the winch that way. Lots of surplus hyrdaulic winch drive parts out there.

By the way, you need a NP205 specific pto no matter which way you go.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If you have power steering with the SBC you could run a hydraulic from the PS pump and a hydro motor on the winch.
    I have been thinking of a winch in the rear of my M35 and running it from Hydro pump.

I'd like to see pics also as I have 3 Garwood winches and only one M35a2c and a M715 without a winch. Sounds like you've got some drive issues though. If you can find a hyd. motor and pump it's hard to beat a hyd. winch for ease of mounting and "smoothness" of operation.
    67-m715
    71-m35a2