Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big thanks to everyone!!

Worn brass bushing in the front axle can cause wobbles. Incorrectly indexed brake hubs can cause vibration. Worn out steering column parts can cause wobbles. The above advice on the drive shaft and tire pressures are great ideas, too. Your thoughts on out-of-round tires until they warm up is a good start, since you're only paying for gas to drive it around longer and warm up the tires. As you try and narrow it down the guys here are great on ideas without the negativity. I hope it's an easy and cheap fix!!- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Thanks everyone!
    I never took the driveshafts out so I don't think that will be it but I certainly will look them over and see how they are lined up.
    Gonz- by brass bushings are you referring to the kingpin bushings? Passenger side tire has a little more lean(camber I believe) than the driver front but everything feels solid still and the test my dad told me about, checking the lbs of force required to steer the tire, checked out. And can you please clarify improperly indexed brake drums? That seems like a likely culprit as I was not aware they needed to be indexed in a certain way, I just put the drums back on so the stupid screws go back in. Maybe I'm 180 degrees off and if so how does one tell?
    Unfortunately the driving portion of testing is on hold.
    Flat tire up front, been having issues with bad inner tubes, third one that went flat. Actually paid a guy to put them in so I could learn how to change tires on the split rims myself and had three out of four go bad on me. All split at a seam. Aggravating. Thanks for all the input, have a couple directions to go now and will let you guys know what I find.
    If it wasn't for this site and support I'm sure I wouldn't be as far as I am with the old Kaiser.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    Once I got the "death wobble" when my tire pressures were not where they should have been. I have the STA Super Lugs.
    These trucks could use a steering damper, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Direwolf82 View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    I never took the driveshafts out so I don't think that will be it but I certainly will look them over and see how they are lined up.
    Thank you
    My M886 rear shaft was one tooth off when I got it, and it was miserable to drive. It's amazing how little it's gotta be wrong to really mess things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Direwolf82 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Gonz- by brass bushings are you referring to the kingpin bushings?
    This is by memory way back, but I recall lengthy conversations about the kingpin bushings wearing out in someone's truck and it causing issues. The problem is that discussion was about 3-4 boards back and I don't think it was saved. Some other of the members may be able to recall it better than I, but the person pretty much replace/fixed/measured everything else and it came back to those kingpin bushings being worn out and the truck couldn't run true. I can't remember if they found new bushings or replaced the front axle with something else.

And can you please clarify improperly indexed brake drums? From what I understand, the drums were set and balanced to each axle. Not putting them back the same way can cause vibrations. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's a great idea to punch indexes so they go back the same way.
    I'd start with the free stuff first after you get it road worthy again.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Yes on the kingpin bushings being the brass bushings in question...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!