Thread: lu-4 parts

Default lu-4 parts

does anyone have a source other than vpw or e-bay for parts for a braden lu-4 ?

what parts are you looking for?

Default lu-4 parts

bearings,seals,gaskets,bushings& if reasonable worm gear side case.thanx

VPW will have what you are looking for. They are not the cheapest, but have what you need. The sell the bearings for $70 a set (ouch),but AB Linn has cheaper bearings for sale at times and if you are lucky you can find them at an auto parts store.
    The gasket set is 60$ from VPW. It is complete. Most others do not have the small seal for the engage/disengage lever shaft.
    For the dimple plug at the bottom of the engage/disengage lever, I bought a freeze plug from the auto parts store.
    If you need to replace the worm shaft because of rust or wear at the seal surface, the shafts are $45 from VPW. The same for the engage/dis engage shaft.
    They also have nos brake bands for $ and cheaper copy's for like 3$. (I bought one of the cheap ones and tossed it. It did not fit well)
    If you need the aluminum threaded rod, AB Linn at one time had reproduced them. I used threaded rod and sleeved the center with steel tubing on one. I liked it better then the stock one.
    I have a good housing, but have two more winches to rebuild, so I am not really ready to get rid of it yet.
    I have not tried Memphis Equipment for parts in a while. I have bought parts in the past, but kind of forgot about them.
    I will say that the hardest part about putting the winch back together, was getting the clutch fork in right the first time. I would grind a notch to mark which side faces the cable drum.(before taking apart)

Default lu-4 parts

thanx for the info. i was wondering about the alum rod, there is only 2" of it remaining on mine. didn't know if it was stock.have a friend who has a plan for fixing worm gear case.