Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood Latch Questions

Question Hood Latch Questions

Hi Everyone, I’m new to the Zone, I just bought an M715 #10777 and have dived into the rabbit hole of my new project.

Can anyone share pictures of their front hood area hold down mechanisms? The parts manuals don’t describe this in great detail, but I know I am missing the hold down bolt attached to the front which engages the mechanism under the hood, as well as parts from the mechanism part attached to the hood. Right now all I have are side latches and my hood is flapping like crazy.

Any recommendations for that bolt size would be appreciated too.

I’ve read some posts on using FSJ replacement mechanism, it looks like I can do that, I just need to know how that mechanism engages the body.

Thanks everyone!

-Mike

There aren't any. A stock M715 just used the two spring loaded latches at the fenders with nothing in the middle. That is why most of us have "the crack" in the middle of our hoods. Which happens because the hood flexes a lot when driving. Especially when driving with or against a strong wind and a semi truck comes the other way at speed. That hood will jump all over then.

Yes, some people have used stock FSJ latches or at least the part that goes across the front of the hood underneath to truss it up some.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Barrman. Not to press, but can you make sense of Figure 105 in the 34_all manual (pg 234) where parts 2 through 4 mention “hood latch bolt”? It looks like it’s in a spot that lines up with the catch would be under the hood

My truck must have been modified in its past, or have an old FSJ hood, as I see a portion of the bracket under my hood.

I forgot that part was there. Yes, it is a latch pointed thing on the valence. Plus a box mounted to the hood it goes into. However, none of the guts are there to make it an actual latch. It is used as a locator.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I forgot that part was there. Yes, it is a latch pointed thing on the valence. Plus a box mounted to the hood it goes into. However, none of the guts are there to make it an actual latch. It is used as a locator.
    Yep, here are a few photos

Note that latch mechanism is missing from housing.

Locating pin in background on valance that plugs into latch housing, and one of the adjustable bumpers seen in the foreground, that are used on both sides of hood for support.

Thank you both. The pictures are very helpful. Basically, it looks like some of the same parts used for the civilian jeeps/wagoneers, without all the mechanisms.

My truck is missing the locator pin, one bumper entirely, and the rubber top on the other. Time to get creative I guess.

By the way, Dan, your truck looks cherry!

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard71 View Post
    Thank you both. The pictures are very helpful. Basically, it looks like some of the same parts used for the civilian jeeps/wagoneers, without all the mechanisms.

My truck is missing the locator pin, one bumper entirely, and the rubber top on the other. Time to get creative I guess.

By the way, Dan, your truck looks cherry!
    Thanks

You can source the missing parts from a full size Wagoneer or J truck.
    There are a few rubber blocks on the fender also that I didn't get photos of.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    There aren't any. A stock M715 just used the two spring loaded latches at the fenders with nothing in the middle. That is why most of us have "the crack" in the middle of our hoods. Which happens because the hood flexes a lot when driving. Especially when driving with or against a strong wind and a semi truck comes the other way at speed. That hood will jump all over then.

Yes, some people have used stock FSJ latches or at least the part that goes across the front of the hood underneath to truss it up some.
    Interesting. Mine came equipped with the catch on the core support, and works great with the J20 latch mechanism. I thought that arrangement was stock since it was present on my truck.

After having the hood on an FJ40 blow open, I think it's a good retrofit, kind of like a seatbelt for the hood.

hmm. Mine doesn't have any of that. None. No cracking either. last time it was painted was in the motorpool and the paint is consistent so it doesn't look like anyone removed stuff.. just not there.
    I'll be driving it more once I get the 390 in it, maybe I should investigate a brace to prevent cracking.

Mine is like Dan's (except not nearly as pretty!) and it has the locating pin as well. I also have the hood latches on either side and no splitting of my hood. So, it is a hit and miss...