Thread: Orginial motor

Default Orginial motor

As threaten, motor was put in storage building. At some cost and effort might I add. What now? An old saying, todays junk is tomorrows gold. Is this motor worth rebuilding? What about rebuild parts? their cost? What are the orginial problems, besides being under powered for the truck. Your thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by longrider999 View Post
    As threaten, motor was put in storage building. At some cost and effort might I add. What now? An old saying, todays junk is tomorrows gold. Is this motor worth rebuilding? What about rebuild parts? their cost? What are the orginial problems, besides being under powered for the truck. Your thinking?
    I can't speak to your rebuilding questions (though I've heard parts are scarce & pricey), but I know this: here at 5000', that 230 does pretty well moving my truck around with its stock drivetrain & gearing. At your lower elevation, a 230 would quite adequate I would think, and maybe even sort of, well, powerful.

Is this the "parts motor, rough shape" from your ad back in July?

Sadly, your probably wasting time and storage money holding on to it for someone who might need it.

Shipping costs, kills any value that a parts engine might have.

I held onto my old engine for a while, wasn't costing me anything but space though. I'd already sold the manifolds, carb, water pump, alternator....

Not 2 days after I got tired of looking at it and hauled it off someone posted needing a timing cover.

If someone wants a restored M715 to factory specs and the truck they are restoring has been converted to a V8 or diesel then your motor may be worth something for them. If someone has a M715 that they are just bopping around in and the 350 chevy they put in works just fine then it has no value to them. It just depends on the person needing it. If you wanted to restore the engine and hold onto it until someone was looking for a restored motor you could do that I suppose, but I wouldn't.
    If you have it in storage now and if it is not costing you an arm and a leg to keep it there I say hang onto it for a few years someone may need it for parts or to rebuild.
    Zone holster maker

Default Thank you

Wanted to thank all who took time to reply to some of my questions, Would still like to talk to the crew who has rebuilt these motors. Seems like the water pump poses some problems. As in what? Fuel pump is also mention.
    Found a place who has several carbs..... but priceie.. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Wanted to thank all who took time to reply to some of my questions, Would still like to talk to the crew who has rebuilt these motors. Seems like the water pump poses some problems. As in what? Fuel pump is also mention.
    Found a place who has several carbs..... but priceie.. THANKS AGAIN!!!
    As have been through rebuilding a Tornado from start to finish. I can try to answer any specific questions that you may have.
    I also took several photos along the way.

As for the water pump, the bearings are prone to failure from the heavy pulley.
    Also don't over tighten the fan belts, leave them loose.

As for the fuel pump, rebuild with a quality kit that is compatible with todays alcohol blended fuels and you won't have any problems.
    Since the fuel pump isn't vented to the atmosphere, it can leak fuel into the crankcase oil without warning if the diaphragm starts to fail.

Speaking of fuel pump diaphragms Dan, is their a time period that maybe we need to think about taking apart the fuel pump and replacing the diaphragm? I have stated before that I drive my truck maybe 200 miles per season at the most. How hard is today's fuel on the diaphragm?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Speaking of fuel pump diaphragms Dan, is their a time period that maybe we need to think about taking apart the fuel pump and replacing the diaphragm? I have stated before that I drive my truck maybe 200 miles per season at the most. How hard is today's fuel on the diaphragm?
    I really have no idea how long the diaphragms used in the reproduction repair kits will last.

I need to ask that question to Then and Now, the manufacturer of the rebuild kits that I have been using.

My line of defense is to smell the oil on the dipstick before and after each use of the truck.
    And like you, I only drive the truck about 200 miles a year at the most.

And as those above have mentioned, I would bet that my truck doesn't go over 200 miles a year. I am fortunate so far (jinx coming...) that I still have an original fuel pump and it still works as it should. I have a core but have not gotten around to getting (or doing) a rebuild yet. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". But we all know that sometimes it can come back and bite us in the arse...