ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old March 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Today it was not as cold. I finished the passenger side brake job. I had already bent a new steel line from the junction block on the differential to the wheel cylinder and installed that. Next, I went to the driver side. Of course, that steel line was damaged. I made a new one and it is fine. Replaced the wheel cylinder and of course, one of the brake return springs broke. So I need to replace that.

Does anyone know of a source of brake return springs that are not $10.00 each? While replacing one for that amount won't kill me. But I thought it may be a good idea to replace all 8 of them. But $80.00 for springs is a bit ridiculous. If they cost that much, I can buy what I need. But best way replace them all.

BTW, the rear shoes are all secondary shoes, no short lining shoes. The new riveted ones I got from A.B. Linn are secondary and primary. They will go on the front. Wadda Ya Think?

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

I bought a whole replacement set of brake spring hardware including the retainer pins even...would make you a deal on that...enough for 1 axle at least.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
I bought a whole replacement set of brake spring hardware including the retainer pins even...would make you a deal on that...enough for 1 axle at least.
From where please? And how much $$$???
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

I bought it from VPW...it was pricey for the setup as I ought it and wouldnt recommend that as the first choice...I would sell what I have for less than half of what they wanted...

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

Foodstamp posted a part number in another thread...I felt it needed to be included here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showpost....&postcount=308

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Private

gerrykan is a Soldier

Several miles to a NAPA store for me, so I thought I would add some links that may help others.

Brake shoes from O'Reillys: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...36&keyword=451
(New, no core charge.)

O'Reilly Wheel cylinders:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=w37262
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=w37263
(I get a discount through my employer, but I think they quoted me about $13.00 each before the discount.)

O'Reilly shows the H122 springs on their website but the counter man could not get anything to come up, so I ordered them from here:
http://www.finditparts.com/t/categor...raybestos-h122
(A quantity of 1 gets you four springs, or enough for one axle, so you need to order 2 to convert both axles.)

None of the parts were in stock at the store, but as Springfield, MO is O'Reilly's headquarters, they were in the warehouse, and available same day for me.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Private

ou719 is a Soldier

raybestos # H122 crossed to Napa #81233 four springs in the kit.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Private

Houlie is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk4x4 View Post
Let us not forget the arrow on the trap block must point forward according to the quirk manual. I just finished my re-cyl job and then found out I had 50% wrong!!
Excuse me for being uneducated.....but what is the "trap block"?

I'm in the middle of this swap and I'd also like to know what clips and pins (that hold the shoes to the backing plate) should I get for replacements

Thank you
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Trap block is that block of solid steel that goes over the anchor pin at the top of the backing plate. Usually, shoes have a half-moon cutout that rests around the anchor pin. But on the M715, there is a block that goes over the pin and the shoes just press on the block. The block has an arrow and the arrow should point forward on the vehicle. The forward end is also a little rounded at the top.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Here is what it looks like. Note the arrow at the top. It is pointing to the right so this wheel must be on the passenger side of the vehicle. Short shoe is the front shoe.

Picture courtesy: "The M715 Zone 5/4 Quirks Manual"

Tags
brake shoes