Hi all, just joined! I have a shop in Sacramento, and I'm working on an M715... the first I've ever seen, in fact. I'm in the process of replacing the rear main seal and haven't been able to find any published information on the subject, but my internet search has lead me to your forum!

So, after removing the lower block and seeing how the seal is attached, it was pretty clear that the upper half of the seal would not press out like the seal on a 258 (I tried anyway), but I found that just a tap would rotate out the upper half of the seal block.

My first question is, is this the correct way to get the seal out? I don't see any other way... and it's done, so the answer is somewhat moot...

Second, when I install the new seal, I'd think there should be some sort of sealant around the edge of the seal block and the engine block. The fact that it came out so easily makes me wonder if this was the source of the leak, not the seal itself. If this is correct, what would one seal this piece with, and is there any particular procedure for it's installation?

And, last, I've read that it is best to install the seal slightly rotated from the upper and lower block halves... is this true?
Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!