Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear winch

Default rear winch

So I traded the dodge bed for $300 and a warn XD9000I winch so I'm considering mounting the winch on a portable cradle and running powercable to the rear of charlie to use the winch off the rear but still be able to take it off I was going to wire my dodge up to use the same winch on it plus I could make a mount on my trailer and pull dead jeeps onto the trailer if I make a harness extension to plug into the dodge

i would mount the winch to a plate and then weld a piece of 2 inch 1/4 wall square tubing. on the vehicle end i would use a trailer hitch reciever and some sort of electrical quick connect or you could get a really good set of jumper cables to hook up to the winch.this really works great and is very easy to do.what you have is like having three winches for the price of one. i wuold put a 2 inch receiver on everything i had front and rear.just pull the pin and quick disconnect and put it on something else. if i were you i would look into synthetic cable yuor back would appreciate it

Excatly but I'm gonna make a plate with reciever and use different inserts to connect with both trucks
    Use solid 2 stock to connect to the dodge reciever and use a pintle eye insert to hook to the pintle on charlie
    More stuff to keep track but versitle
    I've already got the quik connects for 1\0 cable from work
    And can fab everything at work on the side

I always use the 175A Anderson connectors for jobs like that - absolutely great product.

--Randy

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One major complaint I had with a pickup I had was that I had a receiver type mount for my winch front and rear. Unless I put the winch in the front and left it there before wheeling, there were times I'd drop off into a hole or other obstacle, and then couldn't access the front receiver to insert the winch without some digging, or in rocks, jacking with the hi-lift.

Likewise on the rear in some situations. Hefting a full size winch was never much fun either. With the plate, receiver and a full spool of wire rope it was heavy. Oh, and unless you use a double receiver system, side pulls are out of the question.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Do like Gwen....1 front, 1 rear, one in the bed on the added bucket seats mount...so it can be safe until needed at either end.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    One major complaint I had with a pickup I had was that I had a receiver type mount for my winch front and rear. Unless I put the winch in the front and left it there before wheeling, there were times I'd drop off into a hole or other obstacle, and then couldn't access the front receiver to insert the winch without some digging, or in rocks, jacking with the hi-lift.

Likewise on the rear in some situations. Hefting a full size winch was never much fun either. With the plate, receiver and a full spool of wire rope it was heavy. Oh, and unless you use a double receiver system, side pulls are out of the question.
    If I use the pintle system and designed my cradle correctly to protect the winch couldn't I pull sideways from charlie

If you are using a store bought receiver, they are only rated for 5000 pounds normally and have very little side loading capability. Not like you couldn't make one or strenthen one up with more metal. It is really not a good way to connect the winch to a full size truck, but a small Jeep would be OK. That setup was popular back in the mid 90's for a few years, but as people found out the issues with it, I rarely see it in the off road magazines any more.

I've got a little 6000lb warn for the receiver hitch on the rear of my cherokee, but I certainly wouldn't use anything larger on one... I think the best example of this is a guy who had an 8274 on a receiver mount, went to move it from the front to the back to get out of a mud pit, couldn't carry it, dropped it, and didn't find it again until the next day.

--Randy

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Most hitches as Phoenix mentioned aren't designed to carry any side load, so some strengthening would definitely be in order. Even after that, you are still pulling on a 2 inch channel with all that load. pulling straight ahead, you are relying a bit more structure.

For a rolling load, you might be OK, but under a real stuck, I'd be a bit careful trying to extract 5000 lbs+ of truck with such a small connection. Also, that is a long run of battery cable to carry that much current to the rear winch under a hard pull.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™