Thread: Can someone school me on jerry cans?

Default Can someone school me on jerry cans?

What is the reason for different tops on a jerry can?

Both of these cans are stamped with US on the side. They are both the same size. The one with the screw on cap says USMC on the bottom.

In the first picture on the top, the can on the left is for fuel and the one on the right is for water. Mogas is motor gas or gasoline.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Short answer: NATO.

They wanted to standardize everything later on, so we'd be just like everyone else.......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Don has it right. The Nato-style can's (not pictured) are the best for carrying fuel. They have a cam-lock lid that doesn't leak like the blitz-style can's (the one of the left).
    The blitz-style can is the proper period fuel can for the M715.

the date is on the can. i can't remember if it's on the bottom or the side...al

I have sort of a habit of collecting fuel and water cans, I have a couple nice ww2 fuel cans, 3 nice ww2 water cans, and a bunch of post war cans, the hardest jerry can I looked for was a vietnam era dated can, after years of looking at swap meets, military shows etc, I finally came across a 1968 dated can for my m715.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    What is the reason for different tops on a jerry can?
    The first standard(1941) US jerrycans utilized the threaded screw-lid for both gasoline and water.
    The Army quickly learned that during blackout conditions, water could get poured in a vehicle's fuel tank.
    Production of the large cam-lock lid water cans started in 1942, and continued until the plastic water can was introduced.

The date of manufacture will be found on the bottom of the can or on top under the handles.
    Fuel cans were embossed on the bottom except that some makers put it under the handles during 1943.
    Water cans were marked under the handles. Metal water cans made from the late 1950's onward may be very lightly stamped and hard to see if the can has been repainted.

Fuel cans should be embossed with either ICC 5, ICC 5L, or DOT 5 depending upon what year it was made.
    ICC is the Interstate Commerce Commission, which regulated the transport of dangerous articles by Common Carriers(Railroads, Trucking Companies, etc.).
    The tasks of the ICC fell to the DOT when it was abolished.
    The 5, or 5L was the specification the can had to meet regarding material thickness, opening size, drop test, markings, etc.

20-5-XX:
    20= The gauge(thickness) of the steel used.
    5= The nominal capacity of the container in US-gallons.
    XX= The year of manufacture. Example: 43=1943.

The cans also had to bear the name or initials of the manufacturer.
    This name or initials had to be registered with the ICC.
    Examples:
    NESCO was the National Enameling and Stamping Company.
    USMC was the US Metal Container Company. Please note though that if USMC is embossed into the SIDE of a can it stands for the United States Marine Corps.

Water was not considered a dangerous article so water cans did not require the ICC markings.
    In the frenzy of manufacturing during WW2, water cans are occasionally found with the ICC markings, and gasoline cans without them.
    Roy