Thread: Black out hood light oddity

Default Black out hood light oddity

I noticed when I got my 1969 M726, that the brush guard on the hood blackout light was bent backward. Upon further review, it was spotwelded into that position from the factory. Thought it was a Friday at 4:59 job if you know what I mean.'

Mine:[IMG][/IMG]

Then I spotted the same thing on another 1969 truck on craigslist.

That one:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now, I don't like the appearance this way, but they must have done some like this back in '69.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Interesting thing this...never seen it before...wonder if there is a reason some were made this way...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Interesting thing this...never seen it before...wonder if there is a reason some were made this way...
    Same here? That doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    I noticed when I got my 1969 M726, that the brush guard on the hood blackout light was bent backward. Upon further review, it was spotwelded into that position from the factory. Thought it was a Friday at 4:59 job if you know what I mean.'

Mine:[IMG][/IMG]

Then I spotted the same thing on another 1969 truck on craigslist.

That one:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now, I don't like the appearance this way, but they must have done some like this back in '69.

Scott
    Scott, look at the paint on the top photo. No paint where the guard should have been welded. Strange.

Potential reasons:
    1. hangover from night before
    2. union shop
    3. welding shop apprentice

Yep, I would say it was a production mistake. More than likely someone's first day on the job who put several together before the supervisor saw what was happening. And was like oh well no one will notice.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I wonder if it was really built this way, the one on my Truck got hit when it was a Fire dept brush truck, and the spot welds twisted without snapping,and it looked the same way as those. I bent it back, they broke, and I drilled out the spot welds and plug welded it with the mig welder. if you look at the pic of the one with the broken bracket on the far side, it appears the paint is straight, not angled like it would have been if it was made that way.

spot welds twisted without snapping,and it looked the same way as those.
    Aw, come on man. The hungover, union, apprentice welder makes for a much more colorful story.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Aw, come on man. The hungover, union, apprentice welder makes for a much more colorful story.

I am with you. I guess I watch Myth Busters too much...

But if the guard gets hit, why no damage to the light in both pictures?

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13